Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finished Brake kit install except for connecting Master to brake pedal ... questions!

Ok,

I opted for the manual brake kit from right stuff ... everything went very smooth until the last part ...

I can't figure out how to attach the rear of the master to my brake pedal ...

This car was basically a shell when I originally purchased it so some parts are missing ... but I would think that everything that I need is included in the right stuff kit ...

Heres what I have ... I recived a rod extension and a clevis ... I understand that the clevis should bolt or pin in to the upper hole on the brake pedal rod when using manual brakes ... correct? ... where does the brake light switch go --- to the lower hole? ...

Now here's where more of my confussion comes in ... the extension rod to master ... is there supposed to be a piece that connects the master to the extension rod or what ???

Thanks,
TIM

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Finished Brake kit install except for connecting Master to brake pedal ... questi

Decided to add some pictures to help make this question clearer ...

Here's the rear view of the master cylinder ... This is what you see from the inside view of the firewall ... Notice how it's threaded ...

Here's a view of the pedal rod extension and clevis ...

And here's the end of the rod and how it's threaded inside ...

now how do these attach to one another? I thought that maybe the rod just inserted into the master cylinder but I can't seem to get it to fit ...

Thanks,
TIM

·
Registered
998 Posts
Re: Finished Brake kit install except for connecting Master to brake pedal ... questi

The brake light switch goes on a bracket that was factory welded on the brake/clutch pedal support under the dash. It will be pushed in then the brakes are not applied, by the brake pedal.
My opinion, I would think there would be another rod that would screw into the extension, and would not screw into the master. There would need to be a lock nut on the rod, to keep the adjustment. With the deep master, the rod wont fall out. I don't know why the master is tapped.
Dale

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I don't know if they've sent me the wrong master or if I'm just not understanding this ...

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts

non power requires a short pin that actuates the master which in also attachted to the upper hole of the brake pedal.
you need a pin with a clip or cotter pin to secure the rod to the pedal.
this site might help.
its for a power system
http://www.pozziracing.com/brakes.htm
there is also a pic where the brake light switch goes

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The 2nd picture that I posted shows the clevis which has a pin that goes through it and attaches to the brake pedal ... My original brake light was in the top hole, I can move this down to the bottom hole and then mount the clevis into the top hole ...

The main thing that stumping me is how to get the extention rod into the master ... is there a piece that connects the two that I don't show or is the rod shown supposed to fit into the master ?

·
10,157 Posts

Remove the brake light switch extension tab from the top hole and leave it out. The pedal must return higher and the switch will now contact the pedal itself with no extension tab.

Add a brake pedal return spring.

You are missing the rest of the brake pushrod. With pedal fully up against the brake pedal rubber bumpstop, attach the clevis to the top hole, then measure from the deepest part of the master cyl hole to the threaded coupler you show in the last photo. Add 1" for thread engagement, that is the length you need.

I'd go to the hardware store and buy a grade 8 bolt with that thread and grip length, then cut the head off and grind the end rounded and smooth. When installed the pushrod should be 1/16" loose to insure the master cylinder piston returns fully.
David

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks David ... YOU ARE THE MAN!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts