Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, anyone changed 69 firebird to camaro.. I have a 6cyl rusted firebird and my son wants to make it a camaro? I have a shop and plan to do all work myself. what all do i have to change? I know front clip and rear panel .what about dash,,thanks

·
Retired
26,981 Posts
You have your work cut out for you and you will be left with a firebird under Camaro skin. Resale once done won't bring what a Camaro would and most likely even the Pontiac guys won't want your car. The vin and trim tag will tell folks it's a bird and then most will treat it like the plague because of all the problems guys have with swapped vin tags and faked cars. I'm not knocking the idea out of personal feelings. I'm telling it like I see it after many years of hearing horror story after horror story. Camaros with Nova vin tags, Camaro owner looses half his money and has to return car to owner from '79, Camaros with restamped parts... Your camabird may have nothing wrong and you are a great person but every buzzer and warning bell is going to go off when someone looks at your car...

To your question, start with a new front clip, new complete dash, rear 1/4s and a rear tail pan. Now add all the bolt-ons, bumpers, side markers, tail lights, dash incert and gauges, seat upolestry, door panels, tail lights... I'm sure I missed a ton.

It will most likely cost you more to convert the bird than to build a Camaro if you find a good project car to begin with... I'd build the bird as a bird then sell it to get started on a Camaro if that's what you guys really want. I'd be really happy with a really nice bird though as you'll be much further ahead for less money.

Anyway my .02 + on the matter, welcome to TC... :beers:

·
Registered
601 Posts
First, it won't be the best dollar-wise decision, and it'll be worth less than a comparable Camaro (but more than a 6cyl Firechicken, but the money would be better invested in a Camaro body IMHO)

What do you have to change? Depends on what 6cyl it has, as far a fuel line (not a big deal)

Dash is like 67-68 Camaro dash, personally I'd just leave it, it'll never be a '69 Camaro and the dash of the '67/68 cars are attractive and functional and it's close to the vin area. If you want to though, the 68-74 X-bodies (Novas)have the donor metal you're looking for.

The whole front clip (you can reuse the hood hinges but they are heavier than the Camaro units)

And of course, the rear quarters and tailpan.

Me? I'd love the challenge, and do it, it just doesn't make financial sense!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have to agree with the other guys on this one... But if I were in your shoes, and I wanted to modify the Firebird, I would keep the body a Firebird and find a Pontiac 350 or 400 to drop in it. In the end it's your car to do what you please with it. JMHO. Good luck

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have to agree with the other guys on this one... But if I were in your shoes, and I wanted to modify the Firebird, I would keep the body a Firebird and find a Pontiac 350 or 400 to drop in it. In the end it's your car to do what you please with it. JMHO. Good luck
Absolutely! The 69 Firebird is one of the finest looking cars you could have. You can't wind them up like a sbc, but you can make a ton of hp and torque with the Pontiac. JMO. Mike. :beers: :beers:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
The Bird is the word. First gen Firebirds a getting rarer by the day. Everybody wants a Camaro. At all the car shows, there are always tons of Camaros and rarely any Firebirds. I like to see other restored classics beside just Camaros at car shows as well.

Firebirds are almost equal in value to the Camaro now. A Pontiac guy will pay good money for a unmolested Firebird, especially a Vert. $$$

I would keep the Firebird and restore it. Otherwise sell the car and buy a Camaro. Firebirds can be just as fun to restore as the Camaro. The body parts on a Firebird can be more expensive than Camaro body parts, but that is only because they are not as popular and there are fewer reproduction parts available. There are alot of original body parts still available and could be found in any wrecking yard across America.

I would keep the car and make it into a father and son weekend project car. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
208 Posts
i say don't do it, but that's just me. it is your car so do what ever you want to it. i am sure what ever you guys do it will be an awesome ride.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Are you looking for parts? What do you need?

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.