Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm not sure this is the right post or not, I have just purchased 5 Firestone Super Sport Wide Oval Red Line F-70-14" tire's and Beleive that they may be NOS is there anyway of checking this, I was told by someone that if each tire has a different serial number that they would be orignal and not repo's. I had just bought these to resale. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
There is a date code that should give you some clues. I believe it is in the DOT part of the stamping- mo and year..you could post the numbers here..I'm sure you'll get plenty of help.

Lane

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lane
I will write the numbers down and post them.
Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The DOT on the tire's are as follow's

1 Tire DOT CYLO F4K5018
1 Tire DOT CYLO F4K5458
3 Tire's DOT CYLO F4K5418
Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Lane
Is there anyway of knowing 1968 or 78 etc.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes they can be DOT stamped and be 1968!

Corvettes with Redline DOT stamped tires started in about February of 1968 which is for 1968 Corvette production. I would expect the tire supplier to make the change across their production since this was a government requirement to start the "DOT" program.

Also remember that early production 1969 model cars would have 1968 dated production tires.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Yes they can be DOT stamped and be 1968!

Corvettes with Redline DOT stamped tires started in about February of 1968 which is for 1968 Corvette production. I would expect the tire supplier to make the change across their production since this was a government requirement to start the "DOT" program.
The DOT tire marking requirement started in 1968, but the tire manufacturers were free to mark them any way they liked; the standardized DOT-mandated format 11-digit marking requirement (which the tires above have) didn't start until May, 1971. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts