Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best padding for inside the firewall. I have the oer type but I'm not impressed with it (looks like cheap foam to me). Anybody using other makes.

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
As far as I know there is not much choice when it comes to this. I ended up using the same one you have and it was a POS. I got it to stay in place and cut out most of it to fit.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
There are some better ones that are made with a rubber-like heavier texture that more closely matches originals, but I can't remember who makes it. The place just down the hill that sells repro stuff has them. I'll go check when I go out later. The only thing I've found that I really don't like is that all the repro stuff seems to have the fuse box cut out backwards. My car had the original pad in it that was kind of beat up so I got the cheap one like you have. I noticed the cut out was backwards where the screws go to hold the box to the firewall. The original had a cutout top right and bottom left corner (or vice-versa) and the repro was opposite. I went to this store down the hill and he pulled one of the better ones out and it was the same. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just getting a couple of weird examples?

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I forgot to go by, but I called the guys down the road. The name of the place is Gold Eagle Classics. Aloha OR 1-800-222-2198. Talk to Bob or Art. They only sell the good rubber-like firewall pads, not the cheap things like we've got.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply Jonesy and your efforts 68zproject. I"ll give them a call Monday and find out the cost and if they ship to Canada.

·
Registered
336 Posts
About six months ago I got a one that was about three times the cost of the others. It was molded and heavier and it fit perfect. The cheaper one that I had bought and tore and wrecked trying to get it in was garbage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts