Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I am currently away from home serving in the Marine Corps. I have come across a 68’ Camaro RS 327, 2 speed power glide back in my home state. I’ve enlisted my Father and Uncle’s help to go check it out this weekend, anything specific they should look for? The seller tells me it runs and drives, body looks pretty straight and does not appear to be rusted out, ( hard for me to tell without being there). Just thought I’d ask the experts and see if there was anything I specifically need to look for
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any specific places I should tell them to look? Rockers, quarters, door jambs, floors? Is there a usual place the rust attacks?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any specific places I should tell them to look? Rockers, quarters, door jambs, floors? Is there a usual place the rust attacks?
Rockers, floors, trunk, the roof around the windshield and back window (vinyl top started some rust on mine in that area). It's usually good to check the bottom of the doors, too

Reactions: BillHoltzman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everybody, I am currently away from home serving in the Marine Corps. I have come across a 68’ Camaro RS 327, 2 speed power glide back in my home state. I’ve enlisted my Father and Uncle’s help to go check it out this weekend, anything specific they should look for? The seller tells me it runs and drives, body looks pretty straight and does not appear to be rusted out, ( hard for me to tell without being there). Just thought I’d ask the experts and see if there was anything I specifically need to look for
Thanks,
Bill
Thank you for your service

·
Registered
347 Posts
With the price of Gen 1 Camaros escalating, you might want to consider a knowledgeable body man / mechanic do an inspection if you father and Uncle are not professionals. If you want numbers matching, a Gen 1 expert for a few hundred bucks would be wise.
If you are just wanting a good driver, one trick to find the bondo is a piece of thin cloth and a magnet to move over the car especially at the lower portions of the fenders, doors, rocker, and rear quarter panels. The floor pan and frame rails are pretty important. The sub frame generally rusts around the mounts. They will have to get it on a hoist to check under carriage.
RS could be a clone. Need to check the trim tag. Check the VINs to verify match to the title and title is clear.
I have bought many cars with stars in my eyes seeing what I wanted them to be. After the marriage, you'll find the Miss America virgin to be an old Ho in war paint if you aren't very careful.
Good Luck
Ron

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know you can’t tell a whole lot from this photo but it looks to be a decent start. From what I could tell from other photos it looks very solid around the back glass and roof area, (again hard to tell). Thank you all for the input so far. Anything I should be concerned about with the engine or trans? Seller says it’s numbers matching I will be sure to have that checked. Most of my expertise lies in Mercedes and other foreign cars so please bear with me

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
241 Posts
Have them look up underneath the dash area. Most cars that get painted they more often than not dont strip the dash down and clean/repair rust under the dash. Another thing I did when I was looking besides whats been mentioned is look in the trunk under the rear window and under the top of the quarters to see if the sheetmetal has had new panel scabbed on (correctly or not). I brought a flashlight and a good large size mirror to look down the inside of the rear quarters up towards the door jambs. Rust can get pretty bad up in there.

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
I know you can’t tell a whole lot from this photo but it looks to be a decent start. From what I could tell from other photos it looks very solid around the back glass and roof area, (again hard to tell). Thank you all for the input so far. Anything I should be concerned about with the engine or trans? Seller says it’s numbers matching I will be sure to have that checked. Most of my expertise lies in Mercedes and other foreign cars so please bear with me
Looks like some rust on the header panel. That is the panel in front of the hood. The top of the radiator support looks rusted. Looks like this car has been out in the weather a lot. Many time you can’t see rust around the rear window. The rust is under the window trim. Look in the trunk and under the trunk mat. If there is rust in the trunk, you can bet the rear window is leaking.

Roger

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,676 Posts
Looks like it has an older paint job, probably needing a repaint. This is good in a way as any shoddy rust repairs likely will have surfaced by now. Floors would be my may concern on this car as they will be the most difficult to detect, short of pulling the carpet up. They usually rust from the inside out.

Bring on the photos...:)

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,676 Posts
Just a few observations;
Core support rusted out in front of the battery
Dinged front bumper
Not sure, but think it's a base 327 (LF7 210hp) from the heads. With an added 4bbl carb ?
RS items appear to be correct.
Not sure why the molding on the D. door looks so out of whack.
Obviously very weatherd...all the more reason to be suspicious of the floors, rockers, lower doors (leaks, condensation).

Looks about like mine would if it set outside for 15 yrs. o_O I'd say it's certainly worth further investigation...if the price is right.

DSCF1478.JPG DSCF1477.JPG

The engine is the least of your worries as they're relatively inexpensive and easy to work on. What transmission does it have ? I presume it's a 10 bolt rear end ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After hearing all of your input I’m not exactly sure what to do. The seller is asking over 15k but under 20k let’s leave it at that. My original thought was that owning a 1st gen Camaro in decent shape was like having 20k in the bank. I’m not planning on buying this car if it turns out to be a rust bucket. Even if it was rust free would I be on the winning side of the deal? Thanks

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,676 Posts
If it's relatively rust free, I'd say 15K is in the ball park. RS is worth 15-20% to most folks. Paint work is expensive unless you know someone or are able to paint it yourself. I painted mine, about where it sets in those photos. lol

How's the interior (condition)? Standard or deluxe ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seller says the interior is in good shape, I haven’t see it so can’t confirm. Not sure of the interior class. I can ask for the VIN would that help? You did a great job on the paint I take it that was not your first time. lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts