Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Camaro
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I'm Charles from Oregon.
I've spent the past year looking for 65-67 Chevelle, or 65 Elco. going right passed any and all first gen Camaros because they all seemed to already be out of reach or cut up into race cars with no furniture in the house. Occasionally I could find a Chevelle that didn't need a lot to get me into a driver but really had a hard time getting responses on ads that were posted.

Then this past weekend I found a an ad, that said "1968 Camaro lifelong California car, no rust, no body damage, needs some interior work." After almost 10 hour round trip this ad was completely false, the car was not "Rust Free" instead it was "Free Rust!" Car was savable but way beyond what I wanted to mess with. 3" spider cracks all down the drivers top of the quarter, rust bubbles on every panel with a couple rusted all the way through, all the lights were not working besides headlights, wouldn't stay running, and worst of all there was absolutely no interior in the car. I asked if he had the interior. His response was this is how I got it so no. Just two seats from some other car that were not bolted down and Sheetmetal inside. I still made an offer of about 1/3 of what he was asking. Of course he said no, so we made the trip 4.5 hours back home without it.

While talking to the guy, I was showing him this other 1967 that was also posted for sale. Comparing the two, I was looking at what it would take to get his car to where the other one was. Obviously more than the price on the second car even though the second car was a bit out of my range.

Nevertheless the second car (1967) appeared to be in pretty good shape and ready for turn key enjoyment as a daily driver. The only issue was it was about 10k more than I really wanted to spend. However, I talked it over with the ol' man while we were headed home and said let's make another trip tomorrow even though it's a little higher than I wanted to go at least we will see what I could get if I stepped up a bit more. Long story short after seeing the car he whispered over to me "If you don't buy it - I will"

So I'm a proud new owner of a 1967 First Gen Camaro.

Originally a 6cyl/AT car. Now has a GM Goodwrench 350, Saginaw 4sp, console, buckets, black vinyl top (not originally on this car according to trim tag R-R).
I bought it from the brother of they guy who actually built the car. Sadly the person who actually saved this car passed 2.5 years ago and left it to his brother. Now the brother is selling his house, rarely drove this car and decided to let it go.

He didn't have a lot of info on the car since he wasn't the actually builder just the "hold this" guy. What he did tell me was the car was found in a wrecking yard where it sat for 25 years, there was rust under the back window that he knew was cut out and replaced. After some more inspection, I can tell from inside the trunk, this car has actually gotten both rear quarters, rear tail light panel replaced as well. You can't tell any of it from outside, the gaps look great to me, paint is decent (perfect for a driver).

So far, the only things I plan on changing right away are wheels/tires (not my style at all!) and the shifter is to low and to far forward for me to shift it comfortably.
Then soon ad the rear spoiler, chin spoiler, power disc..

I'm still not quite decided if I'll change it over to be RS/SS clone with the hidden headlights, or SS badging and stripe.
For now I'm just gathering knowledge about first gen camaros and comparing to this car. If you notice any "fun facts" about this car from the pictures please let me know. If you want to know how many bolts of what size and length hold in any part of a 67-72 chevy truck I could probably answer you - But, on first gen Camaro's I'm still a toddler with only "it's a chevy" crossover knowledge.

I'm a long time member of 67-72chevytrucks.com where I own or have owned many of those trucks and currently have one about 90% complete, and a 57 3100 small back window short bed pickup with a '74 400/400 combo that runs/drives waiting for restore (the whole reason I didn't want another project to wait in line).

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Premium Member
14,496 Posts
Welcome to TC Charles. Looks like a nice car to start with.

Roger

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Welcome Charles from north of Seattle. I'm on the tail end of my 69 RS Z/28 build and have a 70 K10 LB to start on directly after. I'm a member on the truck forum as well, but only a lurker for now.
Your 67 looks nice. It has a nicely upgraded drivetrain as well. I hope you have get lots of miles and smiles out of it up here in the PNW.
M

1 - 3 of 3 Posts