Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing Vintage AC in my '67 RS/SS small block car, which is a non-factory air car. I've ordered the factory style center dash vent that goes above the radio, but wondering if I'd be better with an underdash vent in the center. I'm using the factory type vents on each side. Pros and cons of the factory type center grille? Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have a factory AC 68, The center vent is nice as it directs air to your upper body, The Ac has not worked in a few years but I use it for fresh air.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
686 Posts
Things get kind of crowded down low with the VA unit as this is where all the molded air exits are located. I suppose it is personal preference but I would prefer to have the cool moving air pointed at my torso rather than hitting the transmission tunnel. I am not 100% clear on whether or not the VA unit will allow cool air routed through the heater exits but if so your answer is already built into the unit. I just looked at the instructions and it's not evident if you can choose cool + floor. I have not utilized mine yet but I am sure someone else here can answer this.

·
Registered
1970 Nova LS Swapped
23 Posts
I have factory AC and that center vent dash is very effective at directing air toward where I want it. The side vents near the door are partially blocked by my arm and steering wheel. I think if it's possible to use a factory center vent you will be better off than an undermount.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have factory AC and that center vent dash is very effective at directing air toward where I want it. The side vents near the door are partially blocked by my arm and steering wheel. I think if it's possible to use a factory center vent you will be better off than an undermount.
Hey, thanks for that. That's what I thought, so have purchased the center vent and related parts.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm on the road right now,
Bill, Which VA kit are you using? I don't have a/c either and I'm considering adding it. There seems to be a few choices. Thanks
I'll look it up tonight, I'm on the road this afternoon, heading up to my vacation home.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used the VA Surefit complete kit, with the center vent above the controls. I think the part number 961190. Just go into their site and enter the year, make and model and it will bring up the right kit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts