Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys -

I'm running 17x9.5 rears with 275s and when I turn into a sloped driveway, I rub inner wheel well badly. I have only .25" or so now and it's not good. Has anyone had luck widening wells with a dead blow? I do not want to mini-tub so what other success have you had? I think I need to pick up about another .25" and that's about it.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I run a 275-60-15 and I get a small rub on the chrome outer wheel trim now and then. If you are rubbing the inside well then maybe the wheels are a different backspace then mine.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx. I have 5.5 bs which from what I read widely was the standard for a max width. I've added 5/16th spacers and it def helped but still trouble with steep driveways upon turn-in. I think I'm running out of wheel studs so I need to pick up some inside room...

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I think my wheels are 4.5 backset. I am not sure about your springs but mine are new and maybe you are getting to much movement? I am not sure how much I think it would be a good idea to start hammering any wheel wells. I f you need to they do make mini tubs that you can keep your back seat stock with.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
You won't be able to get a dent in a good wheel well with a dead blow. I have the same setup on a '69 and it used to rub in fast turns so the serration on the side of the tires made a noise that scared me into thinking my rear end was whining. That was with some reproduction four leaf springs and new bushings. I moved everything over to another car, used Global West lowering springs (the softer of the two they offer), and used Energy Suspension heavy duty shackle kit and poly bushings in the rear of the leafs/frame only. It does not seem to rub with this setup. I think the poly bushings keep the rear from "swinging" a little like it was with the rubber ones, or rather keep the rear of the car from swinging over the axle. I retained the supplied rubber bushings in the front of the leafs though after reading that anything else could cause binding in aggressive cornering.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx Steiner. I've got all new springs, bushings and hardware...all hotchkis stuff so I think deflection is toward the lower end. I may just try to space the wheels out a bit more. What width spacer do you feel is max for safety's sake? I've got 5/16" now and I think I'm running out of wheel stud length.

·
Retired
26,701 Posts
Are we talking about a '69? Is it a coupe or ragtop? Rear disc's would give you another 3/16" if you currently have drums. It sounds like you are getting to much body flex which is typically associated with ragtops more than coupes. If you have a coupe it sounds like you have a weakened sub structure under your good parts.

My ragtop (no roof = more body flex) was slightly rubbing on the inner fenders with 255/45 tires on 17x9.5" w/5.5" bs as the body flexed going into driveways diagonally to avoid scrapping (lowered car). Adding a Hotchkis rear frame support brace (intended for installation of rear sway bar) really helped and I'm thinking about 275/40's next tire change...

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a '69. I've got Hotchkis SFC installed and I replaced body bushings to poly. The car now feels super-firm and tight after all of the susp work so I kind of doubt that I'm getting an inordinate amount of flex. It's only a problem into steep righthand turn driveways. I've still got a Hellwig rear sway bar to install. Do you think that might help at all?

I'll measure this weekend but I think I've got only .25" between tire sidewall and inner well. Your point about discs is a good one, though. Can you recommend a particular rear disc kit? Everybody seems to sell one and some are crap from what I read. Modest cost...I do not need 6-piston calipers, bling paint and other baloney... :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's a '69. I've got Hotchkis SFC installed and I replaced body bushings to poly. The car now feels super-firm and tight after all of the susp work so I kind of doubt that I'm getting an inordinate amount of flex. It's only a problem into steep righthand turn driveways. I've still got a Hellwig rear sway bar to install. Do you think that might help at all?

I'll measure this weekend but I think I've got only .25" between tire sidewall and inner well. Your point about discs is a good one, though. Can you recommend a particular rear disc kit? Everybody seems to sell one and some are crap from what I read. Modest cost...I do not need 6-piston calipers, bling paint and other baloney... :)
LS1 4th gen rear disks.. super easy and cost me about 250 for the rears.. OEM quality, parking brake and aluminum calipers. Look up my username on ls1tech and my build thread has lots of pics

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 68. I went the easy route, just switched to a narrower wheel and tire. I like to see a minimum of 3/8 clearance on tires, but that's just me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
c6matt-
Thx for the info. Do you happen to have part numbers list? Or where you got brackets?
use the full 4th gen backingplates, bolts right to your stock 10 or 12 bolt. all you need is a 3/16 spacer and a flare to bubble adapter... thats it...:beers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts