Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey friends. well i took my car to the track today for the first time with my new combo. first pass was 11.71 @ 110mph with a 1.861 60ft. last pass of the day was 11.15 @ 120mph with a 1.59 60ft. i am very pleased with the results. i tried foot braking off the line @ 2500rpm but blew the tires off all through 1st gear. my final pass i did about a 4 second smokey burnout, left off idle (1100rpm), & hooked pretty good with 14 psi in my m/t drag radials. i would like to utilise my 4000rpm converter & transbrake to launch harder off the line but i need to play with the suspension some more. i may try some hoosier quick time pro's. my goal is 10.90's. car is 3180lbs, 434 sbc, th400, 4.10's, cal-tracs, 26x10 m/t drag radials. any thoughts? thanks,bill

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mwilson! has anyone ever run both m/t drag radials & hoosier quick time pros on the same car to do a comparison with everything else being the same?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Great job first time out :hurray:
Drag radials did not work well for me either, I tried the BFG's drag radials. Then MT slicks helped a bunch, but I'm not sure you can compare a clutch car with an automatic.
Good luck with it, ---Bill.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks sc68z28. how much do you guys think there is to be gained in my application from a full slick vs. a m/t et street or a hoosier q.t. pro? thanks.

·
Registered
741 Posts
full slick vs. a m/t et street or a hoosier q.t. pro?
Bill. I don't think there is a big difference between any of the above mentioned tires, but I am the king of traction problems:D . (wrong clutch combo)
A low 1.5 60 foot for your package, I'd say is about average, maybe a high 1.4xxx.
I was using the MT 26x10x15 drag, then switched to the 28x13.5 ET street, that helped me some, along with a lower gear.

If you want to try the 26x10 Drags, they got 22 passes on them, just come and get them out of my garage:yes: .

---Bill.

·
19,993 Posts
11.15 @ 120... there's more in her. It will go 10.XX :beers: nice times.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
thanks mwilson! has anyone ever run both m/t drag radials & hoosier quick time pros on the same car to do a comparison with everything else being the same?
I was having trouble hookin with the DR's and finally got them to hook sometimes after alot of adjusting. I bolted on a set of QT pro's and instantly hooked every time. The DR's feel better at the top end and are faster when they hook but are not as consistant on my car.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the feedback guys! bill, thanks for the offer on the tires. i'm too far from you to take you up on that offer but thanks! here's the dilema, i am leaving off idle & anything more than that & it boils the tires through 1st gear. i would like to take advantage of my 4000 converter & transbrake to get out of the hole in a hurry. i realize this is my first time at the track with this car, combo, etc. actually its been about 10 years since i went down the strip in anything. i know there is a bunch of tuning still to be done. but i think i'm going to try either true slicks or hoosier q.t. pros. question is how much better if any is a full slick over a d.o.t. slick (et street of qt pro)? as far as the gearing & tire size, i think it's about right. i run through the lights @ about 6900+ rpm. i believe my motor peaks @ about 6700. tires right now are 275/50/15 (26x10x15) m/t drag radials & gears are 4.10's. i was thinking about trying a set of 27x11.50x15 q.t. pros. your feedback is much appreciated! thanks,bill.

·
Registered
741 Posts
i was thinking about trying a set of 27x11.50x15 q.t. pros. your feedback is much appreciated! thanks,bill.
Those should work well, the little bit taller 27" tire puts a slightly larger footprint on the ground. I think it will work with your current gearing too:thumbsup: . Also I think the ET street and the drag slick when compared in the same size and compound, are about the same.
Your welcome---Bill.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think you could use a taller tire myself. Why not try the 275/60/15 drag radials? They are 2" taller than what you have. Your motor makes a ton of torque so you don`t need a short tire with the 4.10 gears. If you go to a taller tire it will drop your overall ratio down and help you hook it. you might also try the ET streets in a 28x11.5. I know a bunch of guys who have had good luck with those.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I think you did excellent with that ET and 120mph there Bill! That had to feel G O O D !!!

Sounds like no-doubt you'll reach your goal of 10.90's.

What's your RPM across the line in that 11.15 run?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Bill, Have you made any other adjustments other than launch RPM?

The Cal Tracs have a tremendous range of tuning between using the upper and lower mounting points, pre-load, etc.

What rear shocks did you go with? If you have the adjustable Rancho 9000 you have 9 setting to play with.

How about the front suspension? How much travel do you have? Have you removed the front end limiters?

Is it spinning on the hit or it grabs for a few feet then spins?

Sorry for so many questions but I just made the switch to the Cal Tracs last year and it took a while to find the sweet spot. I don't think throwing new tires is the best next step. That's expensive and I doubt there is much, if any, difference in the performance you will see from Mickeys to QT Pros.

Also, call Calvert. You can speak to John himself and they are very helpfull.

Let us know about that suspension...hopefully we can get you in the 10's in short order!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for all the feedback guys! greg o, the front suspension consists of: rebuilt stock control arms with poly bushings & balljoints, qa1 aluminum coilover conversion, unisteer manual rack & pinion, upper bump stops removed, 3.5" wide weld wheels with pizza cutter radial tires, & fresh alingment. the front end sits pretty low with about 2" of compression before hitting bump stops. the rear suspension consists of hotchkis 1.5" lowered leaf springs (removed flat overload leaf), poly insulators between leaf springs & axle housing, cal-tracs (running lower hole with about 1 turn of preload), qa1 adjustable aluminum shocks, jegster bolt-in subframe connectors welded in, current tires are 275/50/15 m/t drag radials on 8" wide weld wheels. i have not really tweeked much on the suspension adjustments. rpms across the line are roughly 6700-7000 depending on how much i slide around at the start line. YOU GUYS ROCK!! i'm absorbing this info like a sponge. thanks soooo much for your help & please keep it coming! thanks a million, bill.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i spoke with the helpful gentlemen at calvert today & they pointed out a few things that are out of adjustment with my cal trac bars & suspension. i'm going to get after those things & hit the track again in 2 weeks. thanks again guys!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bill, do you have a cage in your car? I was at Sac a few weeks ago in my 67 and they booted me for going 11.30s. I've heard Sac is pretty laid back about this type of stuff, so I was surprised when they kicked me. Just curious if you were able to skate by the rules or not. Also, did you go on a Wednesday night or a friday/saturday test n' tune?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey redcamaro, i went on a saturday t&t. no i dont have a cage/bar. i made 2 passes @ 11.2? & 1 pass @ 11.15. nobody said a word about it. i have heard that weds nights are real strict probably because of all the stupid kids in their ricers doing stupid sh*t. your lucky to get in 2 runs on a weds night cause the place is litters with top fuel hondas doing 15 second burnouts & then running a 16.00+ et. the tech guy didn't look under the hood, trunk, car, all he said was "sign your tech card, you have a helmet right? pull to lane 6!"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts