Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always tried to double flair any brake lines or fuel lines that I make. What I'm wondering is which way is best; single flair or double flair? What is the benifit of the double flair? Would a single flair work just as well? It's hard to find a GOOD double flair tool.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"

·
Registered
396 Posts
A single flair will crack over time due to fatigue and vibration. A single fair is ok if used on a part where it does not matter if it develops a crack. generally all automotive lines require a double flair which will not crack over time.

With that said, I have seen people cut brake lines to size and then single fair them and they worked fine.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Single-flaring brake pipes is pretty risky. The best flaring tools are made by Imperial-Eastman, 1151 Bryn Mawr Ave., Itasca, Illinois 60143. I have several of them, bought from Speedway Motors, Lincoln, Nebraska (402) 474-4411. Just tell them what angle flare you want - they have 45-degree for most automotive flares, and 37-degree for AN fittings. Have used mine for many years, they still work like new (they're precision-machined and heat-treated, unlike the junk from China).

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right about that China junk. I've always done the double flair but was just wondering if I was waisting my time. Thanks for the info on the tool. How much does it cost? What size tubing does it do?

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Be careful what tool you buy, I used a "chinesse" in a repair of a rear line, the one that goes to the rear brake cylinder, and after doing the double flare I was ready to install the line but thanks God I looked at the floor and saw the adapter that makes the double flare and notice that the center stem was broken. It was located inside the line end. I had to cut the line around 1/2" back, re-make the flare and re-bend the line so it reached the cylinder. My recomendation, purshase the best one you can afford and try to always double flare your lines for safety.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have the Sears one and it doesn't do a very good job. It slips and gets the flair off center.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts