Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm "restoring" a 67 convertible with a built 396. The oil pan i have has a 7 quart sump. I have installed a flaming river rack and pinion power steering unit. The sump is too big and needs to lose a few inches to clear the rack. Has anyone done this before? I can use as small as a 6 quart, if its shaped right. I need stock clearance for the front 17"ish of the pan. Is there one on the market? will a chevelle pan clear it? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thank you
Al Bentley

·
Registered
42 Posts
Al,
I'm having the same problem with a 454 in my 68. Stock pan doesnt work. I'm waiting on a call back from Classic Industries on what they suggest. If I get something, I'll post something back here. Good luck! Brian

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I ended up calling Flaming River direct and they told me they test fit the kit on a 68, with a 454, stock pan and headers. Basically, they didnt know why it didnt fit and "Good Luck". So I took the pan off, cut it, welded it, grinded it, leak tested it. (Repeat a few times to get all the leaks), put it all back together and sure enough the dang thing was hitting the headers. That combined with the cradle hanging down about 2 inches below my cross member, and this set up becomes unusable for me. I'm taking the whole thing off and going a different route. (Gonna buy a new oil pan, too.) Hope yours goes better than mine. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Stock pan no good ??

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
So why do you guys need a R&P steering system?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts