Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone point me to the best tutorial out there to troubleshoot my hazards? They just stopped working a short time ago, and I have searched around this great site and found bits of data, clues and pieces, but no start to finish, top to bottom, step by step tutorial on just this problem.

If you more senior members know there really isn't one yet, could I interest anyone in writing one up? As hazards are a common safety inspection item, I bet many would benefit from your efforts. I myself would be eternally grateful as I am PCS'ing in a week and a half and gotta have my hazards working again to legally ship my car back to the mainland.

I'll start you off with a real catchy title:

Hazards for Dummies. Vol I.
:yes:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to Mention...everything else lighting-wise works. (Left & Right Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Head Lights, High Beams, etc).

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There is two flashers one for the signals one for the hazards. Try replacing both. Or test light to them. It could be the swithch but I would start there.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It looks like the 4 way flasher on a 67 is in the fuse box, and the turn signal flasher is in a clip in holder mounted to the bottom of the dash. It looks like the wire color to the 4 way is orange & brown, and the turn signal flasher wires are purple & brown/white. Here are a few pics from the assembly manual that might help you track it down. Usually if you turn on the 4 ways and step on the brake pedal the lights will stop flashing. One wire in each flasher should have power to it, the other wire comes from the 4 way switch or the turn signal switch.

·
Super Moderator
32,530 Posts
Emergency flashers goes through the turn signal filament of all the bulbs including the dash t/s indicators, as in a parallel path.

The flasher for the emerg. lights has to handle the load of six bulbs if non-RS, eight bulbs if RS, so swapping in a reg t/s flasher will cause the lights to flash rapidly until the flasher burns out.

If you can't find the correct flasher, you might try a heavy duty(trailer) flasher, 552 I think.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do your turn signal indicators in the dash come on when you step on the brake?
Yes. With the key turned CW one notch (Accessory?), with the Hazard button on the steer column pulled out, the two green L & R turn signal indicators come on when you depress the brake.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like the 4 way flasher on a 67 is in the fuse box, and the turn signal flasher is in a clip in holder mounted to the bottom of the dash. It looks like the wire color to the 4 way is orange & brown, and the turn signal flasher wires are purple & brown/white. Here are a few pics from the assembly manual that might help you track it down. Usually if you turn on the 4 ways and step on the brake pedal the lights will stop flashing. One wire in each flasher should have power to it, the other wire comes from the 4 way switch or the turn signal switch.

By this pic, I think you found it. Looking at my fuse panel, there is no 3a or 3b type assembly plugged into the upper right corner. Is that the emergency flasher relay? Does NAPA commonly carry these?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a pic of my fuse panel, sans Flasher Relay? I was hoping it was something simple like that.

What confuses me is I hear a relay ticking away when I engage the left or right turn signal. Is there a separate one for that function somewhere. I looked all over under the dash and cant see one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the turn signal flasher is in a clip in holder mounted to the bottom of the dash.
Anyone have a pic of where this turn signal relay is? I can hear it, but cant see it. Second, is this relay the same kind as what's used for the Emergency flasher. If so, I can swap em to confirm this is my only problem (other than being a complete NOOB.)

·
Super Moderator
32,530 Posts
Look right below the ign switch and towards the steering column for the t/s flasher.
No, you need the correct part number for the emergrncy flashers, t/s flasher will not work correctly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Plug the correct flasher into the top right side of the fuse panel and you will be all fixed. Because the indicators light up with the hazards on and the brake applied that indicates all the wiring and switch are good.
Well, the plot thickens. I went to CHECKER AUTO and bought a generic, all purpose two-pin 4-way flasher relay, it fit OK, but it didn't work. I took it back in and tried their other version of the same thing (one was "long life" the other "loud"). No go on that one too.

Do I need the exact 67-69 part, (I see Ricks has one for under 3 bucks) or do these universal ones work too. The one I got was rated 11-15v, 15 Amps.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes. With the key turned CW one notch (Accessory?), with the Hazard button on the steer column pulled out, the two green L & R turn signal indicators come on when you depress the brake.
my hazards where doing this same thing, and when brake was depressed would illuminate the turn indicators. also would blow fuse if flashers where in on position (not working) and turn indicator was on and brake light activated. turned out to be a short in the steering column at the turn signal cam.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Plug the correct flasher into the top right side of the fuse panel and you will be all fixed. Because the indicators light up with the hazards on and the brake applied that indicates all the wiring and switch are good.
Are you sure that depressing the brake with the flashers on (not working) is supposed to illuminate the flasher signal. after fixing a short in my steering column a troublesome fuse no longer blows everything works right and when depressing the brake with the flasher removed the hazards no longer illuminate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts