Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new set of BF Goodrich Radial TA's for my 69 Camaro. Wanted to wait until next year but couldn't. Since this is my first experience storing a car I am concerned with flat spots developing on the tires. Has anyone heard of Flatstopper tire supports? Are they worth the money and do I need them?

BTW I bought my 69 Camaro RS from the classified section on Team Camaro. Couldn't be happier. Developed a great friendship with the former owner to boot!

·
13,973 Posts
The tires you have will not flat spot. Don't worry about the flatstoppers NOT needed waste of $. Just make sure the tires are inflated. I'd go 10 psi over for the winter

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
When I've stored vehicles for long periods I usually put the car on jackstands. When that wasn't possible, I simply rotated the tires 90 degrees every 3-4 months. Never had any issues with flat spots from storage even on a 42,500lbs motorcoach.

·
15,370 Posts
I have the same tires and haven't had any issue with flat spotting yet. I used to jack the car up over the winter, but not the past 2 years... without issue. I haven't increased the pressure in them either. Every couple months I roll the car 6 inches forward or back just in case.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
if storing on a concrete floor be sure to put a piece of plywood down under the tire...

Concrete's lime does eat at rubber.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. I am interested in everyone opinions as I have much to learn and will most likely be asking for advice on other topics as well. Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Over a winter, I had flat spots on Firestones. Never went away. The car wasn't moved. I would err on the side of caution. Tires are an investment.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
My tires on my Jeep used to get flat spots in the winter but, they would go away once the tire warmed up from driving. I don't think those tires were radials, the BFG's I use now don't have that problem.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what BF Goodrich customer support informed me today re flatspots. When storing put a thick piece of cardboard, carpet or a matting down to help prevent flatspots. Bottom line they do not recommend just parking it on concrete. Nontheless I am interested and will give the most weight to the guy's on this forum with experience. Thanks!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,178 Posts
The tires you have will not flat spot. Don't worry about the flatstoppers NOT needed waste of $. Just make sure the tires are inflated. I'd go 10 psi over for the winter
Agree 100%

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice Fred. Looks like your 69 is a lot like mine!

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
x2 on the jack stands but that is also for rodent control :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts