Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my alternator and now all lights (int. and ext.) flicker when the RPM's
are increased. Any suggestions on what this could be?

Thanks
Paul

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Do they flicker, or get brighter as the RPMS go up? Hows the battery?, check your grounds, make sure your getting between 13 to 15 volts out of the new alt. Thats a few things you should check first. Remember, if it wasn't doing it before the new alt. I would start there. good luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zuma
When I increase the RPM's the lights flicker.
When it is idleing the light's are normal and I occassionally get the GEN light and that goes out when I inc RPM'S. How do I check the ground with VOM?

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Paul, If they are flickering and you have a gen light, I would start with the alt and check the output voltage at the battery...measure across the terminals with the car running, should be between 13 to 15 volts, if not could be the alt or the regulator,(located near the radiator driver side on a 69, maybe the same for yours) Check your connections, make sure there clean and tight, sounds like something is loose or not making a good connection. Is the belt tight? Maybe someone else has a few suggestions. What was wrong with the old alt?

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Paul, If they are flickering and you have a gen light, I would start with the alt and check the output voltage at the battery...measure across the terminals with the car running, should be between 13 to 15 volts, if not could be the alt or the regulator,(located near the radiator driver side on a 69, maybe the same for yours) Check your connections, make sure there clean and tight, sounds like something is loose or not making a good connection. Is the belt tight? Maybe someone else has a few suggestions. What was wrong with the old alt?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zuma,
Bench tested it was putting out about 12.5 volts. I checked all my connections they look good and tight. I don't understand it wasn't doing this before I changed the alt.
Is there a way to test the volt reg?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think ya got a bad Alt.

If you have a analog VOM, watch the voltage at your light. If it moves up and down while motor rpm is the same its either the alt of regulator. A digital vom tends to average out faster and may not show you the pulses in voltage.

I ran a defective alt in my daily driver for years... one set of diodes went bad, making for lower output and nice disco style dome light. Still charged at about 11 volts.

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Paul, I agree with impzilla, but I think it's the alt, 12.5 just won't do the job... remember bench tested at 12.5 volts and you aren't even running any acessories, i.e. lights, heater fan,wipers, lighter, radio, I would replace the alt...Good Luck, electrical problems are the devil!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry, the old alt. was putting out 12.5 volts. I not sure what the new alt is putting out. I'll have to test it.

Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts