Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on wiring my backup lights today, and thought I had everything wired perfectly. I crimped my wires, and then checked the backup lights one more time, only to find that one of them would not light up. I went back and rechecked the wiring, and everything was fine. I tested the voltage and got 12+, so I knew I was getting power. Then I jiggled the bulb socket, and the light came back on.

I remember a few occasions where my tail lights would flicker while driving. For those of you that don't know, the tail lights get their ground from the lamp socket making solid contact with the tail light housing. If the sockets are loose in the housing you will lose your ground and your tail lights.

I know this may be common sense to most people, but if it even helps one person, it is worth it. It took me about 1-2 minutes per socket to remove them from the housing, pry the fingers a little wider, then replace the sockets. Now it works like a charm.

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
You can get the sockets anywhere. Metal or plastic. I've seen them listed on the Autozone website.

I didn't think they were originally metal? Maybe '67 was?

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Wheres the best place to buy them,does anyone have part#s ,and does anyone have new ones that have a ground wire built in,so you would have 3 wires coming out? thanks jared

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can get the sockets anywhere. Metal or plastic. I've seen them listed on the Autozone website.

I didn't think they were originally metal? Maybe '67 was?
I never really gave it any thought, but they probably aren't original to the car. I just ASSumed that everything was metal back then, and the plastic stuff didn't come until later.

·
15,370 Posts
Very good tip Brent. All too often people buy something and expect it to just install and work. While that's true for some things in some applications, parts like sockets that are basically just stamped out and sold, some adjustments may be necessary.
I wrote a Blog on how I couldn't get the retaining clips for my tail light housings to work at all until I 'adjusted' the clips. They wouldn't fit well right out of the bag (simply stamped metal parts, then shipped to the consumer).

And every man should have a Gerber or Leatherman in his pocket at all times.
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wheres the best place to buy them,does anyone have part#s ,and does anyone have new ones that have a ground wire built in,so you would have 3 wires coming out? thanks jared
I would just check your local parts store. My sockets have two wires coming in and a male spade terminal on the housing for a ground, but the socket housing should just ground to the vehicle by contact. I'm not sure why you would need a third wire for ground only.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And every man should have a Gerber or Leatherman in his pocket at all times.
:thumbsup:
Absolutely. I gave them away to all my groomsmen at my wedding, and got one for myself as well.

At an early age I was told "If you want a bottle opener, get a Swiss Army Knife. If you want a tool, get a Leatherman."

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Brent, yours have been replaced...you are probably better off. The plastic originals don't have as many contact points as yours, leading to the dreaded "Camaro tailight disease".:D

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
The metal pigtails one can buy at any auto parts store they are made for "Fords" but work excellent. They are available with two wires or three as mentioned. They do not jiggle loose or fall out of the tail lght housing which is a common problem with the original plastic connectors for many.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
No 67 had plastic housings also , if metal they have been changed out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts