Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My Camaro is at the body shop to have the floor pans replaced. My friend has had several cars done by this guy and swears by him. I however am a little concerned because when he explained the process he would be using to install my floor pans it didn't seem right. I am not a body man so I'm not sure what the correct way to install them really is though.

According to the shop owner, the new pans will be layed into the old hole cut outs and will over lap by 1/2" in or so. That's fine. They will not be completely welded in though, instead they will be 5/16 plug welded and he will use seam sealer underneath to further stregthen the metal.

Does that make sence? I always that the pans were completely welded.

Please let me know.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think they should be completely welded.I'm no expert but I've never liked the "plop the new panel over the old" theory. I think panels should be installed as close as possible to how the factory did it.I cut out the spot welds at the rockers and the toeboard on my car when I did the floorpan,and butt-welded to the trans tunnel.It's a lot of work but is much closer to factory.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
my floor pans were completely welded in, and I don't think I'd do it any other way. IMO there needs to be a weld all along wherever it meets, and then seam sealer on top of that.

Before:

During:

After:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Structurally speaking that is just fine as long as there is enough plug welds.

What kind of panels did you provide? Full OEM type or “patch” panels? If you bought full panels I would install the whole thing. Keep in mind however, the price he gave you might very well only pay for the method he has said he would use. It would cost much more to put in a full panel rather than a lay in of just what is needed.

Generally speaking you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Plug welds are fine so long as there are enough of them as mentioned previously. This may not be the most visually appealing way to install panels, but it does work and is commonly used by body shops. Basically the type of welding doesn't matter much so long as you get strong welds and good structural integrity. Show cars or highly optioned cars should have the pans butt welded to get as close to factory originial look as possible IMO.

On my RS I used a few plug welds when intalling my pans and followed those with a complete bead along the entire seam. May not be pretty but who is going to be looking at the bottom side of the car?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts