Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
One of the guys in my club, X77D80 (who posts here), has this on his Z and it sounds great! I think they also make a whole prefabbed kit around this muffler. If that's the case, I recommend using their kit. It will be a whole lot cheaper than fabbing up a kit to go with that muffler. Good luck! ~ John

------------------
1968 RS, 355/4spd/12 blt w/3.55's.www.camarogenerations.com

·
Registered
235 Posts
Great muffler! I had the same type installed on my '69 Z28 awhile back, and I think it sounds very good. Driving down the road it doesn't run you out of the car and you can actually hear the radio, but when I stop at a red light I turn the radio down to hear the cam. The true sound comes out best while idling and going through the gears.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I talked to flowmaster and they said that the 40 and 80 are very similar, but the 80 has a slightly different sound.

I think that I'm going to use it. Flowmaster says that they don't make a kit for a convertible camaro with this muffler, so I'll take it down to the local shop and they can bend up the pipes.

[This message has been edited by paulm (edited 05-01-2002).]

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I've got the 80 series also. I used to have the 40 series on my last Camaro, so I can compare them directly.

I did like the sound of the 40 series, but was a bit loud for my ears for everyday use. Had a resonance in the cab at some RPMs, also. Nice stainless tips, easy to install.

I like the sound of the 80 series better. More of the 'tin' sound that I like. Little resonance in the cab. More efficient design due to the muffler placed farther back. Drawbacks: no exhaust tips, more difficult to install. However, it's more sturdy (both pipes are held in place by the muffler and h-pipe) so it wont move around any. The 'no exhaust tip' drawback may be good for some, so they may choose their own.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my NEW webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts