Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get some feedback on performance exhaust systems for my '69 Camaro project. Flowmaster or Dynamax? Which is preferred and why? Have any fit issues with either? Which sounds the best?

Also would I be better off running a 2.5" systen or 3" system?
(I was leaning towards the 3")

1969 Camaro
550+ HP SBC
pump gas
Hooker Super Comp Headers with 3" collectors.
TH400

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Depends exactly on which model you want. I know alot of guys like the super 40 mufflers on their cars.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have dynomax on my 68 which are certainly quiter than a 2 stage flowmaster and maybe close to a 3 stage. Regardless of which one you go with, as long as you run a tail pipe over the axle it will cut down on the sound a fair amount.

I personally get way more interior resonation with the dynomax than I care for.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the board. I've run both flowmasters and dynomax in my street/strip 67 Camaro and I found that the flowmasters resonate more and didn't make as much hp as the dynomax, given the same type of muffler. Granted the dynomax had the fiberglass packing and started out real quiet but as I used them more (racetrack and WOT) they got a little louder as time went on. They still allowed my 67 to go faster even at their quietest. I run the dynomax 3" bullets when I race. Hope this helps

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to run the Dynomax super turbo mufflers with 2 1/2" inlet/outlet and dumps before the rear end when I drove on the street, but now is a strip only car with open headers. They would resonate bad enough that I would set off car alarms just idleing by. I found that they were also very restrictive, if I made a pass with the exhaust on then made a pass with the exhaust opened up I would pick up aleast 4/10ths of a second which i figure is approx a 50hp gain, and that is on a mild 406 that only runs mid 12's. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't choose the Dynomax super turbo mufflers.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Flowmaster doesn't make a high flow muffler. Most are load and resonate a lot in the car. I would go with the Dynomax Ultra Flows for the strip and street. They have a nice mellow sound at low rpms and cruising. At WOT they will come alive and roar a bit. 3" Ultra flows will flow around 1100 cfm each. That's twice what most Flowmasters will do. As for 2 1/2" or 3" I'm not sure what will be best for you, I would probably lean towards 3" if you planning on racing a lot. 3" will be a little loader than the 2 1/2". Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in on the best size you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with Camaro man, out of all the dynomax mufflers the ulltra flows are probably the best ones for street cars, I myself would go with the bullet muffers b/c noise isn't an issue for me and as the car mainly sees track duty and the little bit of back pressure will probably help with low end torque. I know a guy with a well planned out sbc in a '84 chev 1/2 ton that actually et's quicker with oval 3" ultraflows vs. open exhaust.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have 3" Goerlich Xcellerators on mine (check out videos in sig). I've had Spintech (not bad), Flow master 40s AND super 40s (just can't get the Mustang sound out of my head) and Dynomax Ultraflows (too mellow) on this motor. The Goerlichs sound the best BY FAR IMHO. They look exactly like the Ultraflows, but sound A LOT different, at least in my case. At idle they sound wicked (very different tone), not too loud at cruise but WOT will wake the dead (which I like!!). Some of the guys over on the Performance Years site have them on their GTOs and they sound mean on those too. I think that if you are after a unique sound that will make people ask what those mufflers are, give the Goerlichs a try. They are straight through also

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm running Flowmaster 40's with 2 1/2 inch exhast on a 400+ hp 383. All I know is I constantly get people complimenting me on the sound! If you could hear a similar type engines with both brands it would be the best way to decide. Everyone has a opinion on what sounds best. Any of the mentioned mufflers are great choices. Good luck and et everyone know how it turns out!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've used both - the dynomax only once though, hated the sound and the system started rotting out within a year. I has to fight with them but they did send me new pipes - so they kind of stood behind thier product? I have run FM on everything else (dozen or so) and lun the sound and never had a quality issue.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I am seeking your comments and suggestions for a SINGLE Crossflow muffler system using 2 1/2" mandrel bent tubing and stock appearing tailpipes.......

Anybody know how/where I can buy the aluminized system with possibly stainless or chrome tips.............

Thanks,

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
What about Hooker Aerochambers? They flow right up there with the Dynomax Ultraflows (which are great by the way) -- just not sure how loud the Hookers are.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I went from 2 1/2" Flowmaster 2 chambers and a crossover pipe to 3" Magnaflows and an X, and saw quite an improvement in ET. I attribute most gain to the pipe size but I know the Magnaflows outflow them as well. I really like the sound of my exhaust, and get lots of compliments on the mellow yet agressive tone. Plus if you are into shiny the Magnaflows are a real nice looking muffler in polished stainless, right there with Borla.
No matter what muffler you use I reccomend an X pipe (Dr. Gas specifically), it does a lot to get rid of resonance even with flowmasters.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Brian,

How did the super turbos compare to the ultra flows?

My super turbos have alot of resonance at idle and lower RPMs--I don't know if it is the install or the mufflers.

Brent

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I had no resonance with either Super Turbos or Ultra Flos, but the Super Turbos were just too quiet for me at times. While the Ultra Flos are just perfect in the sound department. They are loud enough to hear the engine at idle and during acceleration yet cruising they are tame enough to have a conversation inside the car. I do have an H pipe on mine and I have Flowmaster mandrel bent pipes out the rear which makes a world of difference.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts