Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be putting some new exhaust on my 68 camaro and I can't decide between putting some flowmaster 40 or 30 series mufflers or putting on some dynomax round bullets or round welded mufflers. I'm running dynomax headers and want a deep, powerful, rumbling sound. Anyone with any experience with any of these pleease help?? Also, does anyone know anything about the 30 series flowmasters?

·
Registered
85 Posts
go with the 2 chamber flow master it has a mean sound
and you will know the diference
on horse power

------------------
68 RS ORIGINAL 327,350 trans.4 BARREL 650 CFM EDELBROCK,
HEADERS,2CHAMBERS FLOW MASTERS,3" PIPE.
12 BOLT REAR END 331 GEARS

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay but is the sound really upbeat or slow and deep?? And have you ever heard the 30 series flows??

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the delta flow 40 series i believe. Whatever comes in there header-back kit. The sound is awesome, but can get old. I love it when i want to hear it, but i've made a 5 hour drive from San Diego to Phoenix before, and the sound gets old, quick. Its great for cruizing around though, and at times when you want your car sounding mean. I dont know how stock your engine is, so it might not have the same mean as hell sound, because my engine is far from stock.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree with the 2 chamber flow masters,Had them on a 78 Malibu with a warmed over 355 with 2.1/2 pipes with tail pipes sounded great.With out tail pipes they are really loud though.

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
55 Belair Sedan Pro Street 355 auto 9''

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my engine is kind of hopped up, I have an RPM airgap intake manifold with an edelbrock 750 carb and a comp cams Xtreme energy 268.
I really want a deep, rich, powerful sound?

·
Registered
77 Posts
The dyno max mufflers have a glasspack like sound:p I have 3 chamber 3 inch dual flowmasters on my 72 and love em
Best sound in the world. I crank my car just to listen to it

·
Registered
96 Posts
get the flowmasters. With that cam it should sound pretty good. The Flows definitely have a deep powerful sound. They sound great at WOT too
Friends have told me my car sounds killer when going down the drag strip.

------------------
67 Camaro
383-SRP Pistons, Manley Rods, Cola Crank, Edelbrock Performer RPM package, Speed Demon 750 dp, MSD Ignition, CalTracs Traction Bars

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
I'll have to respectfully disagree with 6-71 on the sound of the Dynomax. All the one's I have heard were mellow at idle and cruising but had a nice roar under acceleration.

I read recently about a test where there was no appreciable change in et or mph on the same car when run with both dynomax and open headers... And no flowmaster resenance (sp?) also...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Definetely go with Flowmaster! I have two delta flow 50series on my camaro and love the deep sound it has. You won't regret going with Flowmaster!

·
Registered
50 Posts
go with the flows. they are the best!!im getting dual 30 series on my 475 horse s-10. they are mean!!!

trust me youll be noticed, and if a cop nails you just be like, hey man it wasnt me!!!

---------------------------
85 small block s-10 pumpin 475 horsies and about 430 ft/lbs and its INSANE!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have the Flowmaster Delta 40s on my Nova and I love them. The motor is a healthy 355 and it sounds hellacious through them. I run 3" pipe to the mufflers, and 2-1/2" from there out back. I built a milder 355 for my friends 72 Monte and he runs the Dynomax mufflers. I personally don't care for the sound of them, they sound a little too much like old glasspaks to me. In defense of them, the motor they're on is much milder than mine, and it's only a 2-1/4" exhaust.
Best advice is go to cruise ins and car shows and listen to cars with the same basic motor as you're building. Don't be shy- ask the owners what mufflers they're running if you can't easily see. You'll probably be able to hear exactly what your car will sound like.

------------------
68 Camaro 355/TH400/3.73
69 Nova 355/TH350/4.88
69 Firebird 400 ragtop
71 Firebird 350
00 Standard Trails 250

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
I couldn't get what 6-71 had said about Dynomax sounding like glasspacks.. I remember seeing another thread along the same lines... I think we heard 2 different models .. Check this, www.camaros.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/001088.html

Do a search in "General Tech" there are a lot more posts on this... Since you're looking for loud the flows may give you what you want.. Watch out for that vibrating resonance as it may get on your nerves after a short while...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Registered
3 Posts
I HAVE HEADERS, 3INCH PIPE FROM HEADERS TO 2 CHAMBER FLOWMASTER MUFFLERS, AND 2 1/2 PIPE FROM THE MUFFLERS OVER REAR AXLE TURNED DOWN FACTORY, AND IT SOUNDS AWESOME! I GET A LOT OF TURNED HEADS. A.G. 1968 CAMARO SS350

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have the 3" Series 40 on my 396 with headers. It definitely has a low rumble. It also has the "bop-bop-bop" common to Flowmasters. I put a crossover in to mellow it a bit. If you're into loud, those will work. I'm at 82 db at ~50 feet. Legal limit is 85 db here. Ithad 3" dumps after the mufflers at first. It was 92 db!

It's a bit too loud for my tastes and gets to droning on me after a while.
I'm looking to switch to something quieter.
But then, I'm old!

Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1506559&a=11674961

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks alot they sound awesome. Now my only question is should I go with the 30 or 40 series?

·
Registered
77 Posts
DjD, I stand corrected...
I was thinking about the turbo tubes.
So I cant say much about the round bullets.
If they sound like the welded race mufflers that dynomax has they do sound pretty good

Im still a flowmaster man though
Even if they dont flow the best I love the sound

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you want really low rumble, run headers, then 2.5" back to the mufflers, and 3" turn downs right after the mufflers,right before the axle. DEEP rumble.

40 series are the loudest.

------------------
383 Speed-O-Motive stroker kit with Speed Demon 750, RPM intake,Proform HEI dist.MSD6a box,World Products Sportsman II heads, ported and polished with 2.02/1.60 valves,64cc,TRW forged pistons with 10.7:1 compression, Comp Xtreme 284 cam,Crane pushrods, Comp Cam 1.6 full roller rockers,ATI damper, 40 series Flowmasters, 4.11 gears with TH350 and Hughes 3000 stall.Powertrax NoSlip Locker

·
Registered
50 Posts
if your wanting that noticable, bad *** sound go with the 30 series

1 - 20 of 44 Posts