Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a pair of Flowmasters for my '69. Can anyone help me with the series to use? It seems that I've read alot about certain Flowmasters resonating too much - too loud inside the car. Anyone have the 40 series on theirs? What do you think? I sure want the deep aggressive sound, but not unbearable inside. I drive the car alot.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Flowmaster says their "delta flow" 40 series mufflers are the same as the regular 40s but quieter at part throttle. I am looking into getting them myself and have the same concern so it will be nice to see what people think.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a set of model 40's with Delta Flow and a new 3" system that I am going to get installed in a week or two. I will be happy to post my findings.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the old style 40 series flows on my 67 with 2 1/2" pipe and a x-pipe style cross over. Yes it is loud but I love the way it sounds. It is fairly loud inside the car but far from unbearable. My car is a daily driver so it gets driven plenty. My cruise rpm with 700R4 is about 2600 to 2800 rpm. If your cruise rpm is over 3000 its going to be pretty loud inside the car.
Stephen

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 700R4
69 SS clone unfinished
72 454 Weekend Racer

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have had both, the regular 40 series and the Delta Flows. Both sound awesome, but the Delta Flows were a tad quiter.

Great mufflers.

------------------
383 Speed-O-Motive stroker kit with Speed Demon 750, RPM intake,Proform HEI dist.MSD6a box,World Products Sportsman II heads, ported and polished with 2.02/1.60 valves,64cc,TRW forged pistons with 10.7:1 compression, Comp Xtreme 284 cam,Crane pushrods, Comp Cam 1.6 full roller rockers,ATI damper, 40 series Flowmasters, 4.11 gears with TH350 and 3000 stall.Powertrax NoSlip Locker

·
Registered
85 Posts
i have the two chamber flowmaster, and i love it if you like your car to sound great go for it, is not tha loud on les you estep it

------------------
68 RS ORIGINAL 327 4 BARREL 650 CFM EDELBROCK
HEADERS,2CHAMBERS FLOW MASTERS,3" PIPE.
12 BOLT REAR END 331 GEARS

·
Registered
149 Posts
I hate to revive an old thread, but I said I would report back after I installed my new 3" pipes and model 40 Flowmaster Delta's. The old exhaust system was 2' header mounted glass packs into dual 2.25" pipes over the axle and out the rear. The new system is Torque Tech and goes all the way to the bumper as well. (Thanks Team Camaro members for the recommendation) At an idle it is about the same volume but does not pop or cackle like the old system did. The tone is lower as well. While driving it is at least 50% quieter. There is NO in car resonance at all. If you rev the engine to 4K in neutral and hold it the blasting sound of the glass packs is gone. In fact you barely hear exhaust at all doing this. Under full throttle it also got rid of the blasting sound, but is only about 25% quieter than the glass packs. In summary I like it a lot. It is quieter than I expected. I can finally listen to the radio if I want and there is no way it is too loud for the street.

[This message has been edited by Chris Davis (edited 03-23-2001).]

·
Registered
370 Posts
Tell me one thing. Why do all of you guys run the two mufflers under the floor pans looks like crap. The crossflow muffler that Flowmaster makes flows the same as the two and is up out of site. You can get it in 2.5" or 3" and looks a lot cleaner. I guess I am to picky. But if you are going to do it do it right. If you are runing a prostreet with a came as big as a house then I can see it if not keep it clean.Or maybe you wont to look like a Mustang if that is the look you are looking for. And do'nt tell it flows better it does not ask Flowmaster I did. Sorry for going on but this is a pet peeve of mine.

TIM
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1598601&a=12182103&f=0

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tim Meredith:
Tell me one thing. Why do all of you guys run the two mufflers under the floor pans looks like crap. The crossflow muffler that Flowmaster makes flows the same as the two and is up out of site. You can get it in 2.5" or 3" and looks a lot cleaner. I guess I am to picky. But if you are going to do it do it right. If you are runing a prostreet with a came as big as a house then I can see it if not keep it clean.Or maybe you wont to look like a Mustang if that is the look you are looking for. And do'nt tell it flows better it does not ask Flowmaster I did. Sorry for going on but this is a pet peeve of mine.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you're happy with the crossflow. You're also running stock exhaust. Will the crossflow support a mill with heads that flow and decent headers? I like the idea of getting the muffler(s) up out of the way. I just question how performance will be effected. Do you have some flow info to support your claim? And just a thought, you don't need to bully folks into your way of thinking. "maybe you want to look like a Mustang if that is the look you are looking for" Rather insulting, don't you think!

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I had the Flowmaster crossflow muffler system. Though I agree with Tim that it is nice to have it tucked away between the tank and differential the drawbacks of heat radiation and maintainance took precedant.

On a normal day the trunk floor was too hot to touch. On a warm day the trunk was like an oven. This occured even with heat shielding and tailpipe wrappings.

Also, the distance between the muffler and the differential housing was not enough for me to easily remove and work in the differential cover area. The differential also suffered from the heat.

Just my 2 cents.

Carl

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have the Series 40 on my 69 396 w/headers, 3" to the 3" mufflers. The reduce from the mufflers to 2 1/2 to exit at the rear.

When I bought the car it just had 3" "dumps" after the mufflers. It was 88db inside the car! Needed ear plugs. It was 92 db at 25ft at 25 mph outside. A real "cop getter".
Also had that "bop-bop-bop" sound that gets pretty irritating.

I extended the exhaust out the back and added a crossover. It mellowed it out a bunch. It's now ~80 db inside and 83 outside. (CA limit is 85 db).
It still has that "bop-bop-bop" rumble, but not as bad.

I'm probably going to put some "Flo-Pro"s on it. The documentation says they flow better and are much quieter. They cost about the same.

I'm looking for the low rumble, but hate the "bop-bop-bop" sound that is common with Flowmasters.

Just my (old) .02.

Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim, B&M TH400, 3.55 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes, Chrome Rally Wheels
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1506559&a=11674961

[This message has been edited by Joe G (edited 03-23-2001).]

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just found a pair of Lincolns in my pocket so here goes. The factories do a lot of R&D when they develop new models. The Camaro was no exception. All first gen cars were produced with a single crossflow muffler except the chambered system which still encorporated a crossflow configuration behind the differential. I do know this, the higher your compression ratio the more heat your engine will produce. Heat is horsepower. Even though my Z/28 is an 11:1 motor and I have a stainless crossflow muffler exhaust system I do not experience any undue heat in the trunk, fuel tank or differenial areas. I'm not saying this should be the same for everyone and every muffler. It's quite possible the design characteristics of the Flowmaster muffler produces more radiant heat than other manufacturers. While CarlC has experienced excessive heat others have not, but I have heard others with the Flowmaster express the same concern over heat. I am getting ready to do the exhaust on a '70 and I too want the up and out of the way look of a transverse muffler but the concerns over flowmaster heat worries me. A fellow on the 2nd gen site just bought a flowmaster kit from summit that reportedly has 3" thick 50 series dual mufflers. He may post a picture. If these "thin" mufflers exist this may be an alternative. Fortunately for me I have found a local shop that will mount a system and let me try "on the rack" a variety of brands and pick the one I like. I better get off here cause I'm out of pennies.

John

·
Registered
370 Posts
DjD no I do not have any numbers for you I called Flowmaster and asked them if there was any avange in the two over the crossflow they told me no.I called some of the guys here that run the crossflow about the heat and no one has had a problem but we do not get the heat that the guys in Texas or Cal. do.We do more open road driven to not much in town. It is as hard to get the rearend cover of with my chambered as it is with the Flowmaster I have done both. Sorry if I made anyone mad.

TIM

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
This is getting good!! I have 4 weeks before the hookers get here
(don't tell the wife) to make up my mind. John (onemorecamaro) did I see a pic of the exhaust on your Z some place recently? Was set on Dynomax but having second thoughts!

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wow, this discussion got pretty heated pretty fast!! I just want to add my opinion. I am a VERY satisfied owner of the Flowmaster American Thunder 2.5" header-back system with the DUAL delta flow two chamber mufflers. I did my research before buying the exhaust system, comparing the crossflow flowmaster system with the dual muffler american thunder system. I decided to go with the american thunder 2 muffler system for sound considerations. I cannot and will not make any claims about flow characteristics, as I know nothing about how the two systems compare. However, the sound produced by the two systems is very different. IMO, the crossflow muffler produces a quieter, more muffled sound that serves as an "upgrade" from the stock system exhaust system. The american thunder system with the dual delta flows produces a more aggressive, more powerful, rumblier sound. This is what I wanted in my exhaust system. THAT is the reason I went with the dual muffler system. The two systems have completely different characteristics, so it is not a simple choice of whether or not you want one muffler or two. As for the looks of the two mufflers under the car compared to the "concealed" cross flow mufflers...they don't look out of place and since my car is not original I am not that concerned. If you are concerned about originality, you shouldn't be looking at Flowmaster exhaust systems in the first place. It DEFINITELY does not make the car look like a Mustang. I do want to add that the American Thunder system does add tailpipes that exit in the stock locations between the leaf springs and quarter panels for that simple appearance.

Now about the system for everyone's information: the fit and finish is top notch. The quality of the welds and bends are exemplary and the kit mounted in the stock hanger locations without drilling, cutting, banging, etc. Furthermore, I get NO interior resonance whatsoever, just an attention getting exhaust without being obnoxiously loud. At WOT, the exhaust sounds plain mean, but around town, it is very driveable. My car is also a daily driver (and my only car), so it sees plenty of use. I wouldn't trade this exhaust system for any other on the market. I highly recommend this kit to anyone that wants a high performance sounding exhaust. Best $270 I ever spent on my car!!!

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner

[This message has been edited by jrt67ss350 (edited 03-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by jrt67ss350 (edited 03-23-2001).]

·
Registered
370 Posts
You know I had no reason to say what I did( but boy do I know how to heat things up). If we all liked the same thing boy would it be a dull world. SO keep them on the road and have fun that is what it is all about.

TIM

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey Justin, so what do you really think? Just kidding. Dennis, I don't think it was mine. Mine is one of the last Memory lane systems. I got it from Rick's First Generation in '93. It's all stainless. It's a tad cackly at idle but when your on the motor it's more like Dale Jr on the backstretch at Daytona. (I wish). I'm really concerned about the sound of the exhaust on the '70 for a couple reasons. First it's going to be my daughter's first car and since I'll hear it more from outside than in I want to enjoy the fruits of my labor as much as I can. She gets mad when I have to back it out of the garage. Second she wants to decide which muffler/s it will have so I'll need to perform some subliminal physcology on her to get the right ones. Kinda like how she decided on the Torque Thrust II's. heh heh.

John

ps Tim, it's just that Mustang reference that gets your pucker factor up. Hey, how many times have you had some "younger fella" look at your air cleaner decal and tell you "I thought a 302 was a Ford motor"? duh... And then climb in his Riceota and drive away.

Remember there are only two kinds of cars.
Those that have been whupped by a Camaro....and those that are about to be.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the older, 3-chamber, non-delta flow,
flowmasters and the resonance is pretty bad.
It is also not very consistant. Sometimes it
is hardly there and other times it is louder
than the engine. A constant wom, wom, wom,
which seems like it shakes the whole car. This is usually at idle when the outside air temp is warmer. I have to say, when you get on the car, the exhaust really talks to ya, sounds mean. When I go past other cars of the street, the sound bounces off of them and I hear what they are hearing.......pretty loud. But,if I had it to do all over again, I would choose something else.....

------------------
'69 SS 396/375hp L78 M21 3.73 Fathom green/medium green interior

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1331216&a=9901695&p=33013081

1 - 20 of 24 Posts