Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving along nicely on my swap from a P/G to a Muncie M-20. Hope to have it running for Labor Day. One question please: do you use a lock washer with the flywheel to engine bolts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes, they are a "star" type lock washer.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I would put new ARP bolts in since you're at this point. They don't use star or any washers and you'll get a more accurate torque setting. Use their assembly lube, too. Only a few dollars.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I bought ARP flywheel bolts and they did not come with any washers. That's how I installed them. I also added a little Loctite too.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 6/10/02 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all!

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I've never known anyone not to use lock washers in this application. But right here two fellas are putting them in that way without any problems. I use star lock washers also, internal stars usually, I have used external stars. I'd safety wire them if it were me, but I tend to over do things. It's my aviation maintenance background I guess.

Good info on this topic.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
The ARP flywheel bolts say specifically not to use washers. I think a washer would interfere with the radius they put under the bolt head for additional strength.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I just replaced my clutch and removed the flywheel to have it resurfaced. The flywheel had been on the engine for 3 years and the bolts with no problems. Prior to that removal, the same set-up was used for 5 years without any problems. Loctite is just as good as a lock washer, but if a lock washer is called for, I always use one anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The OEM bolts use captured star washers, and the ARP design doesn't use any - both work fine; have used the ARP's on many cars over the years - just a few bucks more for the best there are.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 9 of 9 Posts