Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got through installing my fold down rear seat in my 67. I used the measurements I got from an old post on this site. Those measurements didn`t work on my car. I spent about 5 hours measuring and tacking the brackets in several times before I managed to get it right. What a PITA that was. I will never install another one in a camaro again. GEEEEEZZZZ!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Do you have any tips, information, or anything else I should know. I will be doing the same thing a little later. I still need to get all the brackets. Thanks.

Mike

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
i just installed a fold down seat this weekend in my 67 i allso looked at the measurements from the old post i tacked welded the brackets and i was a half inch off to the out side of each bracket. i measured the hinge brackets on the seat back chisled off the brackets retacked welded them put the seat back in temp it lined up pulled out the seat and finished welding the brackets

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Guys,

Are you getting your measurements from my "Fold Down" page?? If so, there may be a difference between the 67 and 68/69 fold down placements that I don't know about. It's been YEARS since I did this drawing and it's hard to recall, but I may have not measured a 67. I was really only interested in the 68 Fold down, so I concentraited on that year. I know for sure that I DID measure a couple of 68's and 69's, but as for the 67, I may have missed the boat. With all the body parts missing from those cars in the wrecking yard, it was hard to tell what year was what!! 69's are easy but 67's and 68's are too close alike to tell from a quick glance.

If you'll let me know what your measurements are, I'll make an addendum to my drawing.

Ed

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kept getting my seat a 1/4" too close to the drivers side. I also realized after a while that the factory welded my package tray a 1/4" too high on one side. I also had a hard time trying to get the back to line up with the holding tabs that screw on just below the package tray on 67`s. The factory had those off by an 1/8" on one side, so there was no trying to redrill them unless I welded up the holes and redrilled them then, but by that time I wasn`t going to do that. I managed to get everything and lined up pretty good. It may not be perfect, but I think it is within factory specs.
Mike, I`ll offer you any help that I can. Although, after my experience, I don`t know if I should be the one giving advice on installing one. Like I said before, I don`t think I`ll do it again. I`ll pay someone to do it. It can be a royal PITA. Good luck

·
Registered
204 Posts
Got mine in. I didn't think it was too bad. The brackets, with their angular bends, pretty much dictated where they should go in the up and down direction. When they were in the right location they sat flat against the floor and seatback. As far as the width, I measured the distance between the bolt holes in the brackets and came up with a dimension around 42 7/16", center to center. I then centered that dimension in the back and installed the brackets and it fit perfectly. I've reupholstered(switched covers) on the bottom seat and am working on the top and it will be done. Quick Question: On the coupe donor car, the fold down latch was held with two bolts which screwed into a flat piece of steel plate. While the convertible has the two bolt holes already there(in the seat back), the support brace in the well area bisects the two holes and thus won't allow the flat plate to hold both bolts. Should I use nuts, and ditch the plate, or should the brace be opened up so the plate can slide down into position and hold the latch bolts? Thanks. T

1 - 6 of 6 Posts