Team Camaro Tech banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Since carpet covers the large open area in the center of the flat seat top, a "perfect" paint job was not necessary to achieve; however, I did take extra care to hand sand (baby bottom smooth) the flat strip trim that surrounds the carpeting. This is visible when fully-assembled and the seat back is folded down-- so you want that to turn out nice. Same goes for the spear molding and two end caps.

While the parts were drying, I added the center hook slot back into the flat folding seatback portion. I used a paper template taken from one of the other existing holes to duplicate a hole for the center hook. I used a 3" cut-off wheel to make the two long slices (top and bottom), but then chose to use a dremel with a cut-off wheel to slice the sides since they were shorter and critical for fit. (the more control you have the better when cutting--always!)

**The two tape "flags" seen in the photo below are marking out which two springs to remove to narrow the frame by 6" to match the flat folding portion of the seat that was already narrowed 6" to fit the pair of 3" mini-tubs.

*************************MORE IN THE NEXT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Next, I started the narrowing of the "spring-frame" for the seat back portion of the seat. I began by removing the third long "zigzag" spring from each side. This is where you can remove 3" of the seat length without causing mounting issues later on. You have to remember-- the top 3 U-shaped hooks must line up with the flat folding portion of the seat so it mounts correctly--into those 3 slots along the top edge.

** I wanted to demonstrate exactly what is needed to remove each spring in the series of pics so no mysteries exist when anyone else attempts this modification in the future. It's not difficult at all, but may be unfamiliar territory to many who have not opened up a seat before. The springs are crimped to the frame of the seat using flat section of steel plating that are wrapped around the wire and spring. I show a perfect type of pliers to use when re-installing any of these special crimping plates--they work great and won't scratch the paint if the clip is painted since the plier's jaws are smooth.

After marking off all the 3" sections to notch out of the horizontals in the seat frame, I started to cut. Then I welded it back closed -- narrowing the seat by 3" to match the flat folding portion of the seat back. A perfect fit!

Needless to say-- I had a FULL DAY today and made a TON of progress...

I also began to tape out a plan for narrowing the seat bottom before coming in and am going back out tomorrow to finish the job. Stay tuned...

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Well--- the operation was a complete success and I am finished. Now it goes off to the upholsterer to be refoamed, padded, and recovered with a custom cover since it's narrowed (folding seat top portions) and notched (seat bottom).

The bottom does not need to be "fully narrowed" since the mini-tubs only intrude in a space measuring approx 7" x 3" on each end, so it gets notched out instead.

Top two components of the seat frame (flat folding portion and the spring frame assembly) both get narrowed by whatever the width of your mini-tubs add up to (the pair). In this case the mini-tubs are 3" deep each.

Hope you enjoyed the process and pics. That was a fun project to do.

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

*******MAKE SURE to round and smooth all outer edges and corners created here so the new seat covers will not be punctured or torn when installed.

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here's the final product...

Just needs new foams, padding, rear carpeting, hogrings and custom seat covers to be installed.

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Awesome documentary and work Todd. This will definitely need to become a sticky!
Thanks Rob! :beers: It was a fun project to do...

Wow, Todd. Very meticulous and thorough as usual. This should be very helpful to all the guys doing the minitubs. And it seems like there is a lot of them!:yes:
I appreciate the kudos Tim! :beers: I should've installed mini-tubs in my '69 now thinking of it... I still can while it's a shell... hmmmm...:stirpot:

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
152 Posts
You wouldnt by chance have a picture of the seat installed in the car would you? I just got done putting a Quadralink in my car and have a fold down seat. I want to mini-tub the car, but am a little nervous as to how the seat narrowed will look. I am not so much worried about building sheetmetal to cover the gap, but would like an idea as to what I would be getting myself into.

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I do not... but I may be able to get one from my customer. The seat is in New Mexico now... and may not be installed yet. I can contact him and let you know asap...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks alot Todd!!! I am a little hesitant to do this, but if it can be made to look right inside of the car then I am all for it. Fab is no problem for me, and like the fold down look, but if it doesnt look right then I may use a donor seat and raise the floor pan in the rear a little to absorb some of the impact. Thank you for your time.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
No problem at all... I emailed Craig earlier today after I posted. I should hear back from him within the day or so...

The bottom section will look factory since it will but up against each wheel well. The top will appear a little narrow so you'll most likely have to fab so "fillers" along side the shoulder areas to make it look more "stock" and fitting for the car. It was a fun project to tackle. Not that bad at all...

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
well-- he wrote back and said the seat has not come back from the upholstery shop yet. Sorry... He'll send me a picture as soon as he gets it back...

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Did you ever get the pictures of the completed seats?
just re-read this thread I wrote up and am exhausted just thinking about all of that work I did! PLUS--- now I wish I had kept it since I have a 67 coupe now... :frown2: Maybe I can make my own from a standard seat frame? It would be fun to try. I'm going to try to contact the owner and get some pics of the finished seats. Hopefully he still has the Camaro!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts