Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Non 1st gen related

Welding is outside my wheelhouse. I have (pic) of a secondary air pump tube which attaches directly to the exhaust manifold, in my case header, to attach a check valve which is plumbed to air pump (smog car)

As you see the pipe going into the elbow side is cracked about 2/3 around tube. I don't know what type of metal this is.

My ? is , can a muffler shop weld this up or would there be a specific kind of welding? (TIG, MIG, or..) ?

....and outside a junkyard, this part appears to be extinct.

Wood Gesture Plumbing Nickel Bicycle part
Wood Household hardware Automotive exhaust Flooring Gas

·
20,994 Posts
Unsure what metal that is also, but thinking TIG would be best due to thickness, placement, and best looking results.

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
You could tig, or even braze it with steel wire. It could be mugged, but wouldn't be easy. It looks like a stainless blend. Not true stainless.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wire brushed it to clean it up and better expose the crack. It was covered in black exhaust soot from exhaust blowing through around the crack

I will take it to the exhaust guy I use. IDK what type of welders he has but assume TIG. Hopefully he can do it clean without globing it on.

I think this will resolve what my data scanner shows rich on that engine bank. Ideally, I found the needle in the haystack as I did not notice with it installed. My thought was the check valve itself was leaking and was just going to swap it but took the pipe fitting off also and then had the ah ha moment when I saw the black soot and could then feel it flex when I put it in vice to unscrew check valve.

In search this part appears to be extinct, but I did PM a GM parts guy who is on another forum I use to see if he could find one. Ironically this is part of my smog pump plumbing which has been legally disabled by GM, per EO, but by emission law here in CA I can't remove the components even though they are completely disabled....but I have to fix it because it is causing emission fail issue on test. Pre 02 exhaust leak will increase HC on tailpipe test

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 460 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
683 Posts
If it is legally non-functional I would think you could just plug weld the hole entrance to the fitting and/or in the seat of the flare fitting.

·
20,994 Posts
I had a car back in the day that popped every time I shifted...found more than one tube cracked/broken. I deleted the system and found plugs for the EGR ports in the manifolds....all better.

May not be correct, but parts were either expensive or non-existent.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here in CA emission testing is brutal. This car is considered "high emitter profile" so I have to go to a "STAR" station for testing which is a no favors type by the book shop. Visual, plug-in and tailpipe. It's the "visual" I won't pass if "emission components" are removed.....even though in my case the air pump is "disabled" per EO about 20 years ago. Unfortunately, the language in that EO states "disable", not "remove".

Smog shops can't play like they did back when there was the "$200 cash version" as BAR sends sting cars out to shops they suspect and if the guy passes it its a $10k fine and loss of license so its a new game now

I have climbed the appeal mountain. Referee then BAR who governs Referee inspections in State Capitol. Gave the guy the TSB about disabling the pump, he asked if I had sticker issued...yes. I told him it is BS I have to repair a disabled emission device that is now causing an emission test fail issue. He agreed and said "if it was up to me"....I say it is, you can issue the waiver...he hums and says well "the language says disable, not delete"...I say yes because GM did not want to pay labor to remove it, just reflash PCM, unplug relay and send customer on his way. He agreed but said he could not do it because of the word "disable"..then said take it off and try another shop. I said I don't want to be that "beta guy" and if the shop sees it and wants to really F with me they push the button to have me cited for removing emission equipment

The car is "modified" (cough) so I am on the edge in other areas so say nothing when I bring it in and it has always passed but last 2 checks it has had issues with high HC so shop guy ran higher gear to lower rpm on test and it got through. He said after "don't bring it back as BAR looks at shops who have a high pass rate on these 96-97 cars"

This cracked pipe is the reason. it is an exhaust leak pre 02 and post metered air. The PCM reads lean and dumps fuel resulting in unburnt fuel = high HC. Was just by chance I even found the core cause of the issue

I am taking it to a weld shop tomorrow in a shop complex my regular shops are in. Probably a $20 fix. Opinions, like on this forum, have been helpful. Cruise this AM I saw a friend who has a shop and he told me about the weld shop across from him. Said the guy would likely TIG it and may even drill stop holes each side of crack

·
20,994 Posts
Ssssooooo, IF you plug the holes in the exhaust manifold to further "disable" the unit ?

I would ask since it's "technically" how you word it.😁

Some of the stuff I did to get through smog tests....lol.
I failed one tailpipe sniffer, made a U-turn and got in another lane once, turned the idle up using the idle air bleeds in line, and passed. LOL

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ssssooooo, IF you plug the holes in the exhaust manifold to further "disable" the unit ?

I would ask since it's "technically" how you word it.😁/QUOTE]

Doug, most shops would not care about just plugging the air tube holes but "STAR" stations are not friendly. By definition on how BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) speaks, disable is specific to voiding the function of the smog pump, not "removing" any of its components

Your tail pipe could be putting out pure oxygen but if you fail "visual" you fail and that is permanently recorded on your smog history. Not the end of the world but if you have repeated "fail" tests you get mandatory sent to referee and that is absolutely game over. I don't want to get pushed through that door. The referee would make me put on any missing emission parts, including legally disabled ones and go over the car with a fine-tooth comb where there are things (exhaust CAT size) that would fail. It's just BS but the way it is. I will even pay to "pre-test" so if it fails that is not sent to Sacramento on my record. If it fails its out of state registration time

My fail-safe card is registering the car in Idaho at my brother's place...and may be what I do anyway as this every 2 year smog colonic is BS and as they keep moving the goal post in the end it is a no win. They want these cars off the road,, period.

The computer has been heavily "re-programmed" which is also an issue but fortunately it's so old they can't read CVN (calibration verification numbers) as my PCM does not have them but if they did its game over regardless of whether those actually effect tail pipe emissions. That fing deal just started this year. Mostly spurred by diesel trucks coal rolling and rice cars doing exhaust pop programming. My car won't run with a stock "tune" and if it did the check engine lights would go off big time which is a fail. Its a 383/T56, header, larger injectors, TB, etc, etc car that had none of that, so the PCM is major re-programmed. I even have a 2nd PCM just for smog testing (less timing, fan temps raised, less fueling, etc) as they keep lowering the allowable #'s to the point the car will not pass as those #'s are lower than the car was new. For example, they lowered allowable HC PPM from 51 to 45 for the 15-mph test. My "smog tune" does address this and other things and so far, has worked great

Its this newly discovered pipe that is cracked which has been the nemesis for the last few years so fixing it should get me through testing easily...fingers crossed. I will hook up my scanner to see if fuel trims become = on each bank and my 02's are going up/down ape shiat vs pegged at 800 on left bank (side this pipe is on). Again, an exhaust leak post metered air and before 02 is a HUGE factor in rich condition which = high HC on tail pipe. My CO & NOX are not a problem

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,706 Posts
Typical Commiefornia.....maybe time to look into an EV motor swap ? 😁 if thats even allowed.
Why slam California? They had terrible smog problems, particularly in the Los Angeles basin, which they've managed to clear up quite a bit. When I was there, I liked breathing, rather than chewing, the air.

·
20,994 Posts
Why slam California? They had terrible smog problems, particularly in the Los Angeles basin, which they've managed to clear up quite a bit. When I was there, I liked breathing, rather than chewing, the air.
Cali air was great while China was shut down....
China Is Polluting California's Air (treehugger.com)
"Scientists found Asian air pollution contributed as much as 65 percent of an increase in Western ozone in recent years," NPR reported. "China and India, where many consumer products are manufactured, are the worst offenders." A number of studies have come to similar conclusions, with one study finding "29% of particulates in the San Francisco area came from coal power plants in China."
China's skies are briefly clearer while factories stay shut - ABC News (go.com)

What the Smoggiest Cities Look Like After Quarantine | Reader's Digest (rd.com)

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
Most problems start in China. Flu, Covid, Smog, computer hacks, overfishing international waters, technology theft, concentration camps for indigenous people, name it. Russians are not far behind.

Reactions: ctcz28

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats exactly what the 2 shop owners (one a custom build shop and the other mechanical repair shop) I talked to at Sunday's cruise said. Taking the part to a weld shop 2day

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
Typical Commiefornia.....maybe time to look into an EV motor swap ? 😁 if thats even allowed.

View attachment 286098
Junking all my gas and diesel powered vehicles and equipment next week. Shutting down my resto biz. Selling my classics for scrap. Need to live the California way. My plow truck is leaking hydraulic fluid. I'm going to buy oxen and a hand plow.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Metal shop TIG it. He spent some time on it. The check valve fitting was considerably thicker than the tube part, so he had to be careful with heat and not blow out tube part. Pressure tested and no leaks now. Thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well to button up this thread relative to why I had to fix the cracked air pump fitting...and this is not about my 67

The prolonged leak from the fitting did kill the DS CAT so I did have to install exploding wallet CARB/OBD2 CATS as a result, but the CATS were very old

But good news is I passed the smog colonic (visual, plug in, tailpipe) with flying colors

Its the only hobby car I have to smog so it would appear, barring any other emission part failures, I am good to go in the future. Interesting note though is the allowable #'s were higher than previous years where they had been lowered and even higher than the #'s BAR publishes as I checked before taking it in for test. IDK if this is a keystroke or BIN file the operator chose as he was, and has been "cooperative" relative to mods, he won't pass anything that does not pass tailpipe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts