Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have something draining my battery. Yesterday I got a new Optima battery and today it's dead. I searched past posts and found where they said to put a test light between the negative cable and the post and then start pulling fuses till the light goes out. I unhooked my radio, unhooked the clock, made sure the dome light was out, and then I pulled all the fuses out one by one and the light was still on! What does this mean? I'm pretty "electronically challanged" so any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
About the only connection remaining is the alternator. Remove the big red wire from the back - be sure to tape it - don't let it touch ground. If it goes out, it points to a problem with the diode trio inside the alternator. If that doesn't work, restore the connection and unplug the regulator. Disconnect the firewall bulkhead connector to isolate the problem to under the hood or elsewhere.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey it's my good buddy Dave! Hey Bud, after I put up that post I pulled the wires off of the voltage regulator and the light went out. Then I put the wires back on the v/r one at a time. If you pull the orange or the blue or the white the light goes off. Checked the wiring diagram and those are the three wires going to the altenator(the orange turns into red). If you pull the plug at the alt. the light goes out. So you're saying that the alt. is the prob? If so could it work fine till you shut the car off and then go dead overnight? Is there a way to check the alt. to see if it's shorted?

[ 07-10-2004, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Tucson '67 RS ]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mark C., I went ahead and replaced the altenator and the test light went out, so I guess that was my problem after all. Thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts