Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some cams affect the operation of the brake booster cause of lack of vacuum generated by the engine, but what about turbos or superchargers? They generate a positive pressure in the intake manifold when boosted, did that pressure affect the operation of the brake booster and is the vacuum canister a feasible solution for that problem, if any. Need to clarify this for a situation I'm experiencing.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
8,747 Posts
I know my 86 Grand National had a hydraulic not vacuum assisted booster. However, all the centrifugal kits use a standard vacuum line to the booster. I used the same on several vehicles with a blower with no problems. I did use a vacuum can and pump with one of them due to the LARGE camshaft I was running, but not because of the blower.

Jody

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
ORENCH,

A supercharger only produces boost at wide open throttle. Since most people do not drive their cars at WOT all of the time, there is not really an issue with vacuum assisted brakes.

I personally have not had a problem with using power brakes with my supercharger. The only mod I made was to use worm clamps on the brake hose rather than the stock type wire clamps. I wondered if I would have a problem with the vacuum valve popping out of the booster, but have not had it happen yet.

Camco, it was my understanding that Grand Nationals used an electric vacuum pump hidden under the drivers side front fender to generate vacuum for the brake booster. However, that could have been on the later year models.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 12/17/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 02-13-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts