Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Retired
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate starting threads like this but from time to time it seems we forget our manors, our ages and that what we say is globally published on this thing we call the web! The word "published" is key in all this because posting on TC is not like talking to your buds in the garage. What you post generally will stay "published" for a very long time here...

I'm not saying all this for my own benefit, my eyes and ears have seen and heard almost anything a bar full of well seasoned sailors can dish out. This site is a repository for Camaro and automotive information and we all owe it to the site to be respectful when here. This place is all about each of you coming together to better a common cause. I really would hope that as mature people we could all take a small part in policing our own actions... From that though it seems some veteran as well as newer folks have lost site of that. Maybe it's just cabin fever brought on by winter, I'd like to think that.

It really is simple, it's easy to re-read what you write before hitting the post button. There is no problem with questioning something but do it with respect without calling names or belittling anyone. Kill the cussing, I don't mean the light stuff "the damn bolt broke" or "man that car hauls ***" we are all mature people here. It's the shock words that are not needed. If you have to censor yourself "sh*t" or "WTF" as examples to use the word, say it some other way... You're sitting in your easy chair with a cold one and a bag of pretzels within arms reach. Everyone knows you didn't just drop an engine hoist on your foot or something. Refer back to the word "published", the whole world can see what you write!

Don't hastle others for the way they write and spell. This isn't English 101. On the other hand if you can't write your thoughts so others can understand them you may not get the help you would like. It's a two way street so keep that in mind. Turn the other cheek if you get flamed and pm a moderator if it really ticks you off that much. Resorting to name calling is not only childish but it tends to detract from any valid points you may be trying to make.

Some folks have asked why the site moderation isn't nipping some of the problems in the butt when it first starts. It's not that we don't want things to be smooth and friendly around here. There comes a time though when we have to decide to jump in or just let the guys in the deep end splash around some. We really don't think TC administration needs to be babysitters or hall monitors. We get a few children from time to time accusing us of it and a lot worse though and those are the folks we try to spend our time dealing with. In the past the site was smaller with a lot less going on and when something surfaced it was easy to step in and moderate. Sometimes it takes longer for a moderator to become aware of the problem as well. A thread goes a couple pages and there is some flaming but it seems to calm down by the time the mod reads it. The mod has to decide to let it ride or start editing comments or possibly deleting it. Depending on the road taken the mod either hears from someone thinking it needs to be shut down, someone ticked for it being shut down or from everyone that was censored by the mods editing. It really can become an all day sucker in PM land. A moderator really has to be commited to the actions he takes and as the site grows it's more important than ever. Obviously there will be cut and dry cases and others because of the nature of the topic become more complicated... Each of you really can help us help the site by holding yourselves responsible for your own writing...

Be good humans and good carguys... Try to remember why we are all here!

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Dennis,
I can only say that you have hit the nail on the head with your post. Some of the topics or posts are getting down right nasty. I have a saying that I used when I was the moderator on the Prodigy boards way back when and that I know you have seen me write" Take It Off Line " :) Its tough to be hard and its hard to be tough however somebody has too and its those that try to keep things civil. Can't wait for spring..less time near a keyboard:D so it will be quiet around here won't it.

Kev

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I couldn't agree more, and our mods do an outstanding job. I will say this in the best possible light since it is very difficult to offend me, but some others may not be as thick skinned (of the female variety). Keep in mind that the younger generation may be reading over my shoulder. My daughter (age 9) reads this site as well as myself as she is learning about her inheritance or searching for something for me. I monitor her but I am not perfect. I have had to explain a few comments to her (the writer was really mad). I am very proud to be a part of this family and want my daughter to feel the same when she is older. Let's do our best to keep it moderately clean and the greatl learning site it is.:yes:

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
:thumbsup: from the back office :)

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
..Well said:thumbsup:
My hats off to you guys who moderate this board. I barely have enough time to stop in and read the few boards I frequent, ...let alone keep up with all the 'activities'. Thanks! :beers:

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Well said Dennis. I guess I played in the pond a few times myself, so I'll police myself. Kind of hard when I see someone screw up the hobby I have just learned to love, but I will endeavor to employ self control. As one of our illustrious members has said, I will take the high road (I hear there's more barn finds up there anyway). Self control is a virtue... I will try to make it a habit.
Steve

BTW Dennis --- you said "butt", but you're still my "bud" :)

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Ya --- Dennis is cool

1 - 20 of 35 Posts