Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found d a 70 camaro. Decent floors, needs a few small patches. Trunk is the same. No interior. Does have nose clip and fenders. Not pictured.. Has a vin and TT. But no title. Bill of sale only.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Do you have any idea how much time and $$$$ It is going to take to resurrect these cars you are finding? And after you spend all that you have a car with a sketchy title nobody wants. I don’t get it.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Buying a car without a title is sketchy . If it was just for parts maybe as long as you get a bill of sale and really believe it's not stolen. It's an easy $30K to restore that car judging just from the few not so good pictures. If you're looking to get a car to restore, my advice is to get one with a "clear, title" and put it in your name before doing any work or sinking money into it. I would pass on this one for a restoration candidate.

Reactions: rp930 and Vega$69

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Time and money isn't the issue. Its finding the right car. That's why I ask here. To see what your experience tells me. If I don't ask people with experience and knowledge I may end in a bad situation. As far as restoring a car? Its a bucket list thing for me. I've worked on restoring ww2 corsair and mustangs amoung other old aircraft. Also a few other cars with freinds. Its not a work for profit thing for me. I'm not looking at the $$ return.

·
16,686 Posts
Try to find a complete drivable car that starts, stops and turns under it's own power. You'll pay a little more going in but will save a ton in the long run.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
You are free to do as you please, but before buying it, I would run the VIN through DMV or the police to make sure it isn't stolen. They can take the car from you with no compensation if it is stolen. Also, that trunk is worse than "a few small holes".

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I give up! Either any car thats budget friendly is a basket case or a nightmare to work with. And just with a quick look at some sights(ie: ebay, Facebook or classic auto sales) finding a driver is almost as much as a new one or they want to pay off their mortgage with it. I saw a 69 pro tour 🤮 for over 100k. Really!!!
It almost as if no one negotiates anymore.
Example. A year ago I saw a 68 camaro. The metal was good but the rear quarter had some dents and the drivers door was missing. It had a clean title and the floors were good. I asked the guy if he would sell it. He said he wanted 12k, not 1200, 12k. Because that's what he had in it. I thought he was on crack for buying a former drag car for 6k and paying some one 6k to cut the roll cage out.
I guess this is what the muscle car community has turned into. Its not about the cars anymore.

Im saying everyone, but jerkwads with deep pockets and no passion have ruined it IMO.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Nice rant!

·
11,985 Posts
We share your feelings, the days of cheap rollers is done, unless you find that unicorn! But don't lose hope, keep plugging away. You may need to widen your search and take a trip to find your car.

I used "search tempest" and randomly hunted for 67-69 for under $20k and found this one. Better than the ones you previously posted, but not sure what the prices were. But he has the title!

1968 Chevy Camaro - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale
1968 Chevy Camaro - $7,000

I am selling my project car. It's from Washington state, very little rust (pictured). It has a lot of trim parts (some new some old), I have the hood, all glass except front Windshield, it had new Qa1 coilovers in the front and Qa1 Shocks in the back, new leaf springs, other misc parts as well. I have the title in hand.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. That makes me hopeful. It looks solid enough. The 69 I had up was 3500 and the 70 is 2500. But with sketchy vin nu.ber and title issues they could be lost causes. But this 68 is legal.

·
16,686 Posts
It is all about economics supply and demand a 1st Gen project in any kind of decent condition is gonna cost between $10000 and $15,000. Projects in that price range will most likely need substantial rust repair which between Body And Paint can run another $10-$20,000 unless you’re capable of doing it yourself. From there do an estimate of what you think it will cost to do the rest of the work to complete the car once that estimate is done double it and you’ll be fairly close

The cost to buy a 2nd GEN project will be about half of what it cost for a 1st Gen. However the restoration cost will be the same.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I guess this is what the muscle car community has turned into. Its not about the cars anymore.

Im saying everyone, but jerkwads with deep pockets and no passion have ruined it IMO.

Thanks guys.
Its not just Camaros, it’s also old trucks, Broncos, Blazers, and about any old vehicle.

Several that used to ask me why I was driving that “old piece of junk” now are overpaying for that “old junk” and paying to have the paint look old.

·
16,686 Posts
Wow. I figured, not bragging, with my experience I could do alot of the body work myself. Except for paint. I suck at painting.
Cool. Many times I see guy take their cars to be painted that are "ready to paint" that end up costing a fair amount with a pro to really get it ready.

Paint materials alone can run $2-3000 depending on what you want. So if ready I would still budget $5-6k to have it painted, color sanded etc.

Not trying to discourage you at all. Just trying to give you a realistic picture. Seen way to many dreams turn into nightmares.

My advice is to buy the best car you can afford as a starting point.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts