Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a chevy 1968 protection plan, all info filled out in the book, w/ attached protecto plate. I also have receipts from all services done during the period. I dont have the car-was my dads a long, long time ago. I figure maybe someone on this forum, can point me in the right direction, or, hopefully, has this car.
vin=
124678N446579

t

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Re: found protecto plate-1968 conv

...Thanks for posting this. You just never know, ...the car could still be around. :thumbsup:

As the poster above noted, ...the CRG site keeps track of this stuff, ...definitely worth mentioning it over there... :)

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Re: found protecto plate-1968 conv

Tyler, can you take a picture (or a scan) of the POP and email it to me please? I'd like to add the car to the database. My email address is in my signature below.

Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Found protecto plate-1968 conv

yeah ill take some pics and post them up here this weekend. if i cant find the owner im probably going to sell it as a few people have asked if they can buy it

·
Retired
16,014 Posts
yes please post pics of it and send those pics to Ed as well before you consider selling it. Having that info. in the CRG database might keep someone from using it to counterfeit a different car. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Jim, how could someone use that plan to counterfeit a different car? There are a lot of loose camaro protection plans out there...I have several. Are you saying any camaro plan could be used to counterfeit another camaro? I'm curious as to how someone might do this. It seems very complicated.

Warren

·
Retired
16,014 Posts
Any info. on original paperwork can somehow be used by crooks to clone a different car. Thieves do it all the time. They take a body, swap out the VIN (illegal), swap out the trim tag with a new one and all the numbers then 'match' the original paperwork. If its a highly desirable model, they make a ton of money then disappear with their cash. Thats why this site doesnt condone tag swapping or using any other numbers or paperwork other than what was original to the car.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Just how would someone use a L30/powerglide POP to increase the value of a car? Make up a fake VIN and then somehow acquire a title for it?? I'm not following.

Tyler,
Thanks for posting it! It was a 327/275hp with an automatic originally.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Thanks Tyler. I've now added the car to the database.

Ed
Thank you for your services. I wish I had time to track them all. I too have a plane jane 68 POP that I will provide as well. I was hoping to buy it back.:beers:

·
Retired
16,014 Posts
Im of course just talking in general... few would clone a plain jane car into a different plan jane car but its the mindset that papers going to a different car than original is not condusive to honest resto work. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
It seems like a lot of work to do that regardless of the paperwork/car. If you are going to use any kind of paperwork, even from a 396 car, you would still need to have a repro vin made...and to do that, you need to have papers in your name with the cars vin. If you are using a random piece of original paperwork from a car you never owned, it seems like an impossible task. Then you have to have the trim tag and other stuff made for the car.

Think of all the loose docs still out there that the CRG has never seen!

I would like to hear of a story where someone actually used a loose original invoice, window sticker, protectoplate, etc as the basis to make a clone using the vin number on the doc. Know of any?

Warren

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well thanks for the fun guys, its been a good read-wish i could find the stuff for my car out there. im going to hold onto this store for awhile-ed if youd like to include my email in teh database attached to it, id be happy to get the piece back to whoever owns the car now
[email protected]

·
Retired
16,014 Posts
Definately a No No in this site... it only spawns more repro's and fraud in the future when the truth is forgotten.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts