Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From searching the net I am finding comments about the Fram HP4 Filter being only for race use because its more free flowing. Should I be switching the filter on my Beck 383 to a PF35L class filter instead? Its not a daily driver, just a weekend toy, and I do not race it (previous owner did). I have a high flow mellings oil pump (brand new) and use Valvoline Racing Oil 20-50w as recommended by Beck. Oil changes are planned for every 1000 miles approx. Now maybe at that interval the Fram HP4 is just fine, I don't know...

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i ran the HP4 for 2 summers, and i drive the Nova almost as much as the daily beater from march-November. oil stayed nice and clean the whole time. then i read that ALL Fram filters are kind of generic, cheap junk, so i now run a Wix filter that cross references over to the Delco PF35, and it is much heavier, which tells me there's more stuff inside, which i would presume to be more filtering media. and it's cheaper, to boot.

·
3,355 Posts
Brian,
We have used the HP4's for many years with no problems whatsoever. With the 20w50 oil, you probably have a fair amount of oil pressure...I would want the HP filter, it is stronger than the stock ones. I have seen a couple of stock filters ( 2 different brands ) come apart internally and ruin engines. Both engines had blocked bypasses which increases the pressure going to the filter. If Beck recommended the HP4, I would use it.
Just my opinion,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts