Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am installing competition engineering frame connectors on my 68 and when i tighten down the 2 bolts in the rear (under the spring hanger) the front part of the connector that slides into the front frame rail wants to go down as i tighten it...

it drops approx 2" from the inside top rail where it is supposed to sit, should i use a jack to get it into place than install the body mount, drill and bolt it.

it does say to do that in the instructions to make sure it is up all the way before bolting but should i do it to get it up the two inches...

I have the car on four jack stands, Two under front frame rails and the rear are under frame rails right beside where the spring hanger bracket bolts in

thanks mark

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
Re: frame connector mounting issues plz help

The car needs to be sitting on its suspension, otherwise you may twist or flex the frame and body. Place the rear jack stands under the axle. Remove the front jack stands and block up the front wheels to raise the car.
That may solve this problem.

·
Super Moderator
32,274 Posts
Along with Andrew's suggestion, loosen the rear most subframe bolt, place f/conn as per instructions, slide it in I think, leave the bolt loose, jack up the rear of the f/conn, attach the rear bolts and tighten, then tighen the subframe bolt.

It is what it is. You might smear on some antiseize onto all bolt threads to help yourself later in life. You'll appreciate it. You also might take a flea market 9/16 box end wrench and heat it and bend it to fit into hole to capture the nut on the J-nut to hold while tightening. Don't lose the wrench.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Run to Wal-Mart and get a set of Blitz ramps. Lower the front tires onto those and then put your stands under the rear axle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank guys i kinnda figured that might be a bit of an issue being up on stands, only trouble is i got no rear end in er now, replacing everything all at once so i guess i will have to do the frame connectors last once i can bring it down to the floor...

i am also doing all the frame mounts, should they be done on stands one at side at a time or down on the ground also

·
Super Moderator
32,274 Posts
If you mean the body bushings, alum? good idea with f/conn, they can be done one side at a time.
You can loosely bolt in the f/conn, then finish tightening once its on the floor.

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
If you mean the body bushings, alum? good idea with f/conn, they can be done one side at a time.
You can loosely bolt in the f/conn, then finish tightening once its on the floor.
As Everett said you could go ahead and put the subframe connectors in place and tighten up all the fasteners later after it is sitting on the suspension. There is no need to waste the time and efforts you have already made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts