Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my old frame mounts for the motor out as they were loose and had the wrong bolts in them. Was not thinking about what it would take to re-install. Got the new ones and then started looking at how to rebolt them back in - this time with the correct bolts.

Well surprise surprise getting to them is next to impossible from below, so I cannot get the lock washers and nuts on. I managed to get one bolt each mount in place but the two high ones are next to impossible to reach.

One thought is to get longer bolts and come up from below - then hope I can snug them tight. The idea of longer bolts could solve the issue of not being able to get my fat finger in those tiny access areas.

Wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom to bestow upon me. This is the last glitch that is delaying me at this point from installing my new engine.

Thanks

Randy

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
how did you hold the nuts when you took them off?
you can glue the lock washer on the nut or just buy a lock nut
they make magnets that fit inside the socket to hold nuts/bolts.
it looks like you should be able to use a 3/8" universal socket with a small extension to reach up in the hole.
lay a piece of tape over the socket, sticky side out. then force the nut/bolt into the socket.
it will hold them in place until you get it started

·
14,099 Posts
how did you hold the nuts when you took them off?
you can glue the lock washer on the nut or just buy a lock nut
they make magnets that fit inside the socket to hold nuts/bolts.
it looks like you should be able to use a 3/8" universal socket with a small extension to reach up in the hole.
lay a piece of tape over the socket, sticky side out. then force the nut/bolt into the socket.
it will hold them in place until you get it started
X2. I use nylocks so I don't have to fool with the washers

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all good recommendations thanks!

I took them off with an air wrench. Came right out.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Hi Randy
Somtimes, I'll Super Glue the Lock Washer/ Washer to the Nut, use a Bolt to line up but don't get the Glue on the Threads.

Using a Short Socket and long Extension, put a Flater Nut into the Socket first as a Spacer, then put your (Dried) Super Glued Nut & Washer in the Socket, Might stick out a bit - your only using this to get them Started.
Drop the Flat Nut and Tighten up.

Timmy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts