Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am likely needing to replace at least one frame rail due to a small crack from some rearend mishap and a bend due to someone bottoming out the diff into it...must have been a Duke's of Hazard type of moves. I also have to replace a shock tower and rusted wheel housings. Can this be done on a rotisserie? Which should I do first, the rail or shock tower ?

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here are pics of the tail section slightly buckled and cracked. Also the pic of the area over the axle that has been crimped....on both rails. I am in the process of taking this car apart and finding some suprises that the previous owner did a good job of cleaning up and painting. Never posted pics so hope this works.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Thats looks like it took a hit in the rear. How do the rails measure for length and square? If they measure out okay, I would repair them instead of replacing. Should be a pretty easy fix. I would clean up around that crack to see if someone used heat while pulling on it. If it shows signs of being heated, rail may then need to be replaced due to metal fatigue. That also could be damage from the rear end hitting it, IF they didn't have bump stops installed ( I see them in the pixs)

·
Registered
984 Posts
I am likely needing to replace at least one frame rail due to a small crack from some rearend mishap and a bend due to someone bottoming out the diff into it...must have been a Duke's of Hazard type of moves. I also have to replace a shock tower and rusted wheel housings. Can this be done on a rotisserie? Which should I do first, the rail or shock tower ?
Hi David..
I'd think you'll need to:
  • pull the frame-rail section
  • replace the shock-tower
  • verify the car is level / square & brace it.
  • then replace frame-rail section
..and it depends on the rotisserie..
Mine attaches to the bumper mounts, which relies on the frame-rail for structural support.
Other rotisseries I've seen attach to the shackle support, also on hte rear frame-rail.
..so no to those kinds of rotisseries.

If you have a rotisserie that clamps onto the body, possibly..

If you want to do it yourself, I suggest making a jig, or renting a wheel lift.
The kind you drive onto, not the type that lifts the body.
That way you can take measurements from a baseline, and use bottle jacks or screw jacks where necessary.
You'll also want to drop the fuel tank, rear-axle, brake lines, rear-seat, ect.

or take it over to Bear Frame & Axle (Broadway & Hampden).. ask for Matt. (tell him I sent you..)
He is very good.. ..and may work you a deal.

Good luck..! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have a rotisserie yet but know they need frame rail support unless someone had figured out how to attach one in a different manner. I still may purchase someone's rotisserie locally ( wink). I suspect one could weld up that crack if the metal cleaned up to look good. The force to dent the rail above the axles caused the inner wheel wells to bend somewhat....must have been quite a ride. So much to do ...so little time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts