Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any "tricks" to replacing and fabricating new rear frame rails. Im starting restoration on a 72 camaro and have never had to replace a frame rail before. Any information would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Welcome to the Club! Lots of good info here and good people.

To answer your question about replacing frame rails. Search the vendors here for replacement rails and then drill out the spot welds and remove the old rails. Place new rails in place and weld from the top, where the drilled holes are placed. Then stitch weld the rails to the floor on the bottom to prevent warping of floor.

I believe Eastman sells aerosol protectant for the inside of the rail before it gets welded on. You might check their catalogue.

If you can't find preformed rails, you might have to make your own from 3/16" steel sheet or get some from a donor car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I dont know what your welding skills are but if you are like me, I would call around to local welding shops and see if one of them can fabricate new ones for you and weld them in. They would probably need a template to cut the metal. If that is the case, go to the nastyz28.com message board and there is a current thread in the body section that is offering templates for this.
http://www.nastyz28.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

1 - 3 of 3 Posts