Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, not exactly free, you see I already paid for it. It is my daughters car she had since high school. It is a 3.4, auto with 145K miles. It has been taken care of but has a few nicks and bruises but nothing bad. I probably couldn't get more than $2500 for it so I thought I might keep it (we got her a new XTERA). How hard would it be to put in an LS1 and six speed? Worth the effort? It is Red with black interior and BOSE cd/radio.
Of course I have to finish my '69 RS first.
Any comments?
Thanks,
Guy

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Hi Guy,

By the time you pay for the LS1, tranny and all the electronics you'll be wishing you off'd the car for what ever you could get for it. Then by the time you got the car retrofit and running you would realize it would be less expensive to have found and bought a '98 Z28... Search through the performance forum as every other kid that owns a 6 cyl 4th gen has asked the same question. The way these modern cars are put together it's just not like an engine swap in a car from the 60's or 70's...

·
Registered
891 Posts
aww heck,
imo, drop a nice 350 or better a 406 in it with a good 4-5 speed,and go have some fun drivin!
but be careful not to go too crazy or you'll spend way more than you'll ever get back if you decide to sell it to the kid down the block later.a hot carbed 383 will open your eyes!combined with a carefully selected set of gesr ratios in the tranny,a correct rear gear/tire selection,and some minor suspension work,these cars can be a blast to drive!it doesnt cost much if you're informed and selective.you'll have plenty of challenges but you'll thank yourself for keeping this one.
but if it"needs a good home"let me know.
as always;Good Luck!
Eric

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i say go for it- why not get an LS1- or even an LS6- and stuff into it? and who says the engine has to be stock? come on, guys. this whole damn hobby is based on stuff like this. i see this as no different than some guy back in 1977 taking a nothing 67 Camaro that came from the factory with a inline 6 and a 3 on the tree and stuffing a fire-breathing big block with an M22 "rock crusher" muncie in it- the cost would come out about the same, and the car would have all the late model creature comforts that so many people are stuffing into their old cars anyways. so what if it aint worth what's put into it? it's all about having fun...

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I'd personally stuff a 406 into it and turn it into a 11-10 second track car. Something fun to mess around with.

Probably wouldn't cost too much more than turning it into a street legal LS1 car.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Depending on your state, it may not be legal to swap from a V6 to a V8. NJ is now checking the computer on the newer vehicles and I think it stores the VIN so if you swapped out the V6 it wouldn't pass inspection. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can sell you a crate LS1 450BHP/430 lbs ft with 10.5:1 with all the good pieces for $12995. Make it a 383 for an additional $3885, that will be 495BHP PCM and wiring harness for $1900. You will have to get all the other sensers, and miscellaneous, as you are going into lightly treaded territory, I am not sure all you will need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts