Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can rings and bearings be reused after you disassemble a motor? I would like to freshen the gaskets, hot tank the block and clean up the grease and oil and what not. Repaint the motor and make it appear better. Motor has less than 10,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Since no one's posted, I'll throw in my .02 Take it for what it's worth, but I am not a machinist. Hot tanking is what's going to cause you an issue. Freeze plugs would need to be removed and also I think cam bearings would need to be replaced. I don't think the finish on the cylinder walls is going to be good after hot tanking.

Even if not hot tanking, rings, I would definately not reuse. I guess you could reuse bearings, but for the cost, I would go new again.

Is all you want to do is make it look better? You will be surprised at how well degreaser and a power washer will clean up an assembled block. Then a wire wheel and putty knife will remove most of the old paint to a point when you can repaint it. You can "refresh" all your gaskets without tearing into the bottom end.

An "oily" engine can only leak from a few gaskets. And these are all external and fairly easy to replace. Valve cover, front and rear intake seals, fuel pump gasket, front crank seal, and (on some engines) a bolt hole that goes from the front of the block into the fuel pump mounting boss.

Jon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts