Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 68 camaro big block I accidentally or someone accidentally left my ignition key turned on partway. I now am finding melted wires going from the battery to the voltage regulator. What will need to be replaced? The battery had 700 cold cranking amps and did a job on the wires. I do not know if it affected the MSD 6AL box or not. I am not very good at wiring so I am going to be learning the hard way. I have to order some stuff but I am not sure what to get.

·
Registered
453 Posts
In my 68 camaro big block I accidentally or someone accidentally left my ignition key turned on partway. I now am finding melted wires going from the battery to the voltage regulator. What will need to be replaced? The battery had 700 cold cranking amps and did a job on the wires. I do not know if it affected the MSD 6AL box or not. I am not very good at wiring so I am going to be learning the hard way. I have to order some stuff but I am not sure what to get.
Are you sure its not from the battery to the horn relay? Leaving the key on should not melt wires, sounds like something shorted, causing the melting. If so, you will need to find the cause of the short. Also sounds like you didn't have any fusible links in place, they are safety devices that melt before the rest of the wiring. See pic for their locations

1 - 2 of 2 Posts