Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this was my plan this evening. I pulled the chrome 3 wire alternator(that was tested with a bad diode) off and I now have the new one wire alternator mounted in place. I pulled the plug from the old alternator and cut off the ends and taped them up separately for a temporary fix. I added a 10 gauge single wire (with fusible link) from the alternator to the positive source.

then I went to turn the key and nothing comes on...:mad: it is too late to try to crank the car but I doubt it will work since nothing is coming on...

Just in case you are wondering, yes I have been to the MAD Electric website and I still decided to swap the 3 wire for the 1 wire...

I did notice that with the previous alternator there was an extra wire on the same screw that went to the pwer source. It is currently capped off (by me) sitting in the engine bay. It seems like I need to connect that wire back to the positive source maybe it is what powers the main fuse box under the dash?

but I am a little hesitant to hook it up and burn down my car....

help.....

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Re: from a 3 wire to a 1 wire Alternator now nothing works...

Would love to comment, but I won't ...
Thank you for improving the economy though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

The alternator has nothing to do with starting or running. That is a battery function. If you had more than one wire on the alt batt terminal, your wiring was hacked previously.
The extra wire that you taped is suspect.
Or you disconnected something else in the process.

Recheck your steps and you'll probably find the answer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

yep it was my "extra wire". :hurray:

have not had a chance to trace it back but believe that it lights up the fuse box.

thanks...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts