Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm reassembling my car after paint and I'm working on the front grill area. I hooked up the harness (original) to the front lights. Everything works except the front blinkers. Rears work also. I'm getting no signal at all (12V) either with the directional or emergency blinkers. The dash lights work for these applications, but in the front...nothing. The lights seem grounded well. I put my voltmeter probe on the contact inside the light housing (the other to ground of course) and nothing.
I've read all the posts I could find here on issues like this.
I'm hoping someone here has had this experience and can guide me.
Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
I had a similar problem but only on one side......Try turning the socket in the housing from the back.....my 69 front parking lights had a ground issue between the metal housing and the metal socket.......

·
Super Moderator
32,604 Posts
Look at the firewall connector and examine the pins between both the male and female.
You say the dash indicators work - this is a good symptom as the dash indicators are connected at the firewall pins inside, so you're getting power to the firewall connector.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
With your test light grounded, just for kicks, touch the other end to the battery positive post just to make sure it works. I've gotten out a test light and sometimes it might be broke or you are not getting a good connection and it's just a quick test so you are not pulling out your hair later.

I agree with Everett#2390 and maybe test at the bulkhead connector and see if you get anything there.

I've also run a test jumper ground wire from a battery negative terminal to a light housing just to verify a good ground or a non-existing one and have seen some of the crimped together light socket to housing connections be poor electrically.

Jim

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the prompt replies! I will check these areas in the next day or so.

John

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Al,
You were right...it was those pigtails right at the light wire ending/ 18" from the light. It's amazing that both driving lights worked and both blinkers did not! Maybe the blinking signal causes more "corrosion" on the terminals. Also it's amazing that brass to brass spade type connectors wouldn't "scrape" themselves clean during engaging and disengaging.
I learned something today.
Another issue solved...onto some more part installations and...the next issue :)

Thanks again to all who responded!

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts