Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace the front coil springs on my 68 RS & I cant get the front bolt that holds the lower control arm off to save me life. I tried all day today and I can barely even get it to turn. I just ended up putting everything back together. Any tips on how to get it out?

I need to replace my ball bearings too but I'm reluctant because it seems pretty difficult. I just bought the car & I'm a beginner. I really want to do the work myself but I may just not be qualified to do the work. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
I had the same problem with mine in fact it was my first post here 10 years ago and the advice given to me was to apply some type of shock like impact. Try some penetrating fluid and an impact wrench. When you get the nut backed off and loose then drive the bolt out with a hammer and punch, hit the nut and not the bolt. That will loosen it up enough so you can take the nut off and finish driving the bolt out.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
I'm trying to replace the front coil springs on my 68 RS & I cant get the front bolt that holds the lower control arm off
Dont need to remove that to get the spring out....jack up nice and high (with engine in the car) under the bottom arm, undo the shock, under the bottom ball joint. And assuming that you have an axle stand under the car chassis, slowly drop the contol arm and remove the spring.

How much play do u have in the bottom joint...they do have a small amount, and are u sure its the ball joint and not bearing play?

Replacing ball joints can be done on the car if u have a specail tool, like in minture pull exceit its a press ...and do it in a hoist is far easier.
Whack the old joint out locate the new one in the correct postion, press in drill the holes and put the nuts and bolts thru.

The bolt you cant get off use a rattle gun and impact sockets.

·
15,376 Posts
If you really want to get that bolt out to replace the bushings (I suggest replacing them if they never have been), save yourself a lot of time and hassle and do what I did.... get yourself a Saws-All and quality metal blades and hack it out in 10 minutes. I farted around with that same bolt until I had enough.
WHACK! It was on the floor in no time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts