Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Camaro SS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - got a bit of an oddball question. I’m doing a bunch of stuff on the front suspension on my 67 so I figured I should replace the front flex hoses while I’m in there for good hygiene. Thing is, the hoses on there have a (banjo?) fitting on the caliper side similar to my second gen where all the replacement hoses I’m seeing have two female ends.
My car - sorry for not great pics:
Automotive tire Wood Gas Tints and shades Automotive exterior

Basically all the pics of replacement parts look like this:

Cable Auto part Pipe Fashion accessory Automotive lighting

Anyone familiar with what I got on my car at the moment? I wonder if it’s a common retrofit or something that’ll look familiar to people smarter than me.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey all - got a bit of an oddball question. I’m doing a bunch of stuff on the front suspension on my 67 so I figured I should replace the front flex hoses while I’m in there for good hygiene. Thing is, the hoses on there have a (banjo?) fitting on the caliper side similar to my second gen where all the replacement hoses I’m seeing have two female ends.
View attachment 295951

View attachment 295952
Anyone familiar with what I got on my car at the moment? I wonder if it’s a common retrofit or something that’ll look familiar to people smarter than me.
Definitely not the stock hose. Are there any numbers on the caliper or the old hosel? My rear disc brakes have a similar not sure about size of fittings.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
5,576 Posts
The caliper appears to be 69 Camaro. Measure the length of the hose and then compare it to spec's from O'Reilly's or whatever supplier you choose. If the bump stops are still in place chances are the banjo bolt hits them if I'm correct on the calipers being 69 Camaro. The retrofit kits use 70 Monte Carlo (and others) style calipers that position the banjo bolt on the bottom. Something to check out.

·
Registered
880 Posts
View attachment 295951

View attachment 295952
Yea, just remember to order parts for a 69.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Probably an aftermarket brake system.

I have a couple 12" hoses i aquired. If they will help, pm me to let me know.

Here is a link in Dorman for there brake hoses. It may help you find the right one.

·
Registered
67 Camaro SS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies - I really appreciate it. I stuck my head under there again when I got home from work and the hoses measure 14 inches from fitting to fitting. No evidence of the bump stops hitting the banjo fitting (yet) but that may be in store when the car gets lowered. I was able to snap another pic of the caliper from the back and you can see the casting number 510 or 516 on the caliper:

Window Wood Tints and shades Flooring Metal

I pulled up front hoses for both a 69 camaro and 74 nova on rockautio and it looks like the camaro part has a 7/16-24 line fitting while the nova's is a 3/8-24 - same approximate length. The fitting looks pretty skinny so I'm inclined to think it's 3/8. I may hold off on replacing the hose in the event I have to replace the caliper too. I'm installing new control arms so I'm not sure if the bump stop will still interfere - I'll need to mock it all up and check.

·
Registered
1967 Camaro Convertible SS396 "clone", 1967 RS coupe 327-SOLD
49 Posts
I think the reference on rockauto might be incorrect. There shouldn't be any practical difference between brakes on a 69 Camaro vs. a 74 Nova.This was a very popular junkyard disc brake upgrade not long ago. You would locate a Chevy Nova (or Pontiac Ventura, Buick Apollo, etc.) remove the whole spindle/brake assembly and install on your Camaro. I did this myself back in the late 80's to my 67. Yep, the banjo bolts hit the (unique to 67) bump stops. Anytime I had to change parts, I always said 69 Camaro and had no problems. The donor car was a 74 Pontiac Ventura. If you change calipers, definitely go with the 70 Monte Carlo and that would take car of the possible bump stop interference.

·
Registered
988 Posts
That is why I provided the Dorman site, so he could use it to find Chevy cars with same hose style with right length. I have found a few hoses by doing a search at their site. I don't trust auto parts site to give correct info on brakes hoses. They use same type people to post stock in their computer, as they have on the counter looking up parts. Do with manufacturer to get right info. In this case, Dorman.

·
Registered
67 Camaro SS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roger that - on the dorman site, both line fittings are listed as 3/8-24 though there’s different part numbers between the 69 Camaro and 74 novas. From what I can tell the parts are the same except for the brackets in the middle of the line. I’ll go with the Dorman lines - $21 for both with shipping. Basically the price of a deli sandwich in NYC but without the heartburn. I’ll keep you posted as I get everything together.

·
Registered
69 Camaro SS convertible
71 Posts
View attachment 295951

View attachment 295952
99% sure that's a 69 single caliper and hose setup. Classic Industries has everything you need. I just redid mine a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Photo shows 1969 front brake hose listed on Dorman. Not what he needs. He has someone else's aftermarket disc brake installation.

I did a quick search and in about as 3 minutes I found a hose that would work. But since he has the hose identified for his installation, his search is over.

Product Font Line Rectangle Parallel
You

1 - 15 of 15 Posts