Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we've got the '69's subframe completely tore apart, I got a chance today to look at the front brakes while tearing one side apart. Most everything, including all the brake hardware, and the driver side brake hub (busted stud hole) needs replaced.
Our budget (Ha Ha!, Dad's spending money) does not allow for a serious upgrade. But I will have to spend a certain amount even to replace these original drum brakes.
Is there another setup we could run? Like disc brakes from another type/year car that would fit a '69, and also not cost big bucks?
This will be a driver and I'd feel better with disc brakes anyways.

·
15,370 Posts
You can put disc brakes on the front with 90% over-the-counter parts.... totalling about $400.
You'll need caliper brackets from one of the aftermarket suppliers.... the rest comes from the auto parts store.
The drum spindles need to be modified to accept the caliper brackets and you're all set.

Then you can sell some of the drum brake odds and ends to recoup some of the money.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
70-72 monte carlo, mid size gm, can be adapted, direct bolt on, except for the steering arm. Dave Pozzi has a site that has all the vehicles that can be used as doners. I just bought the whole thing, 300 clams, master cylinder booster, and everything attached to the spindle.
Dale

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can put disc brakes on the front with 90% over-the-counter parts.... totalling about $400.
You'll need caliper brackets from one of the aftermarket suppliers.... the rest comes from the auto parts store.
The drum spindles need to be modified to accept the caliper brackets and you're all set.

Then you can sell some of the drum brake odds and ends to recoup some of the money.
Thanks for the reply.
Sounds good and affordable.
What year/make/model would I use?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
Sounds good and affordable.
What year/make/model would I use?
I used 72 chevelle. Get everything you can from a junk yard. Use all but the steering arms, yours will bolt on.
You'll want: spindles, mounting brackets, backing plates, calipers, rotors, master cylinder, booster too. Get new pads and rubber lines for sure. Calipers and rotors are up to you. I got new rotors, new bearings and races, rebuilt the calipers. Cheap and it stops great.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
if the wheels will clear it, you can upgrade to C4 Corvette brakes with PBR calipers for about $500.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just receive my brake parts from Tomsclassic off of Ebay . For $475.00 you get all the brake parts.
ALL PARTS ARE NEW NO REMANUFACTURED PARTS HERE COMES COMPLETE WITH EVERYTHING IN THE PICTURES INCLUDING BOOSTER MASTER / PROPORTIONING VALVE AND THE FRONT BRAKE LINE CONVERSION .AND ALSO FOR A LIMITED TIME WE ARE ADDING DRILLED AND SLOTTED ROTORS AT NO CHARGE .THESE ARE EXCELLANT REPRODUCTIONS OF THE ORIGINAL 1969 GM DISC BRAKE COMPONENTS SO REPLACEMENT PARTS ARE AS CLOSE AS THE NEAREST AUTO PARTS STORE.
Nice kit for the price .
Heres the link for one that was just sold
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=260089162497&rd=1,1
Later Ray

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The E-Bay kit does not include a master cyl or booster. Bel Air Bob's does. summit does not. Toms Classics looks like it also includes the front tubes. none seem to have the front hose bracket, which is different than drums

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND FRONT DISC BRAKES. Just make sure what you buy is what you need. you may want to ask them about the brackets and lines.

TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The E-Bay kit does not include a master cyl or booster. Bel Air Bob's does. summit does not. Toms Classics looks like it also includes the front tubes. none seem to have the front hose bracket, which is different than drums

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND FRONT DISC BRAKES. Just make sure what you buy is what you need. you may want to ask them about the brackets and lines.

TTFN
Mat
I am doing a lot of reading now to find out exactly what I do need.
So far I know I don't want 17" wheels, so the C5 caliper upgrade may be out (still waiting for a return call on that).
I also know in my case buying pieces one at a time, instead of a kit may be the way I have to go budget-wise. So I may end up buying non-NOS parts to end up with '69 disc brakes.
Questions: Are the single-piston calipers worth upgrading to from drum
brakes?
Are manual front disc/rear drum brakes an improvement over all
drums?

·
Registered
13 Posts
converting from drum all 4 wheels to dics in the front, what would i use to replace the factory proportioning valve to use with the new discs

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
you can use the search feature to get a lot more info than this, but...
the "splitter" under the m/c is not a proportioning valve. If you have a residual pressure valve, it would be in the main rear line under the driver side frame rail. If you just have the "splitter" under the master, you can use it regardless of your brake setup.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts