Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd show you guys my revised stock speaker. I had these Pioneer speakers from another car but never used them. I removed the rubber carefully then cut off the old speaker housing with a cutoff wheel, welded in the speaker plates, Painted the top flat black so not visable threw grille, set in the speakers and painted the chrome trim on them also, then glued a pc. of fabric on top. That's about it. Cost, Zero, Notta. Should have it mounted tomorrow night. Beats the hell out of paying $35 plus s&h from reprod catalogs (They're getting enough of my money) plus this should fit back in perfectly.

·
Retired
16,008 Posts
Great idea Ram, thanks for the tip. Looks like a winner. My FM with the single speaker in the dash sure sounds like junk.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Perfect tiing RamJam. I am engineering a similiar solution on my 69. I just picked up a set of 6x9's for the rear and I am playing with the fronts. I plan on making a mount out of 1/4 inch masonite and mounting either 3" or 4" speakers in it. I will also "adapt" the original mount bracket. Yours looks good and does give me some ideas.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Click, I know what you mean the old speakers suck.. If you have any questions just ask.

Codi, You can probably use your old frame even with 4" speakers. You'll just have to cutout the sides more where the speakers mount.

Glad you guys like my idea.. I was looking in the catalogs. I said $35 + s&h, well, that's with cheaper speakers it's like $80 for pioneers mounted in them. ouch!! Notice they don't sell the frame w/out speakers. Or at least I didn't see'em w/out.

Thanks guys
:D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to give an update. I got the speakers mounted in dash. I had to pull the front bezel and use a stick to lift it in to place wasn't quite as hard as I thought it would be. I also put a bigger washer on the screw for the bracket. It sits nice and tight against dash and they sound good.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Finished my front mount over the long weekend. I used 1/4 inch thick masonite, mounted two 3 1/2 speakers, built up the center section and screwed the original bracket to the thing. Looks good, fits very well. All I have left to do is add the speaker cloth cover and slip it into place. Cost about $5.00.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts