Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 68 Camaro Standard. It has drum brakes on all 4 wheels. It does not have power brakes, they are manual brakes. It currently has 14" wheels, but I am changing them to 15" wheels. It will have rally wheels

I would like to put front disc brakes on the car and leave the rear as drum brakes. I would also like to install a power booster and use the stockspindles if possible.

There are a lot of kits out there.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a front disc brake kit?

Do you think I need the power booster or can I just use the stock master cylinder, it has two reservoirs on it?

Thanks

Lee

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I used the kits from SSBC when I did brake conversions on our 69 Camaro and 68 Mustang. Did them about 8 years ago and haven't had any problems with them. They do what they're supposed to do when you hit the brake pedal.

·
13,722 Posts
If you install disc brakes on the front you will need a new master cylinder.

I would suggest you look at Right Stuff

Here is everything you need to convert from manual drum to power disc

"These conversion kits mount to your stock drum brake spindles, streamlining installation compared to kits that require a spindle change. Order the assembly options designed for your vehicle."

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-afxdc14/overview/year/1968/make/chevrolet/model/camaro

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Right Stuff has a kit for $50 more that has 11" rotors and will fit 15" wheels, if you go with the bigger Rallys.

Reactions: ctcz28

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Lee:

Reason I asked is I posted a thread on the Cheap Big Brake upgrade (CBB... as outlined on David Pozzi's site). Even though I did it on a 68 El Camino, all the parts are the same on your 68Camaro, I believe. All GM parts, but you will have to cut your original drum brake spindles AND more importantly, you will need to modify (cut and weld) the 69 and up caliper brackets. I posted all the part numbers I used, other than the master cyl and booster, which was just a standard 68 mc and booster set up.

I also converted the rear drums from the stock 9.5 to 11 inch. But, I use that El Camino to tow heavy loads from time to time. For a street car there is no need. Also, I bought the adjustable proportioning valve, but never installed it as all four corners lock up about the same time on my car.

Thread is here. https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-brakes-suspension-steering/422946-cheap-big-brake-upgrade.html

There is no doubt I could have bought a kit and saved some time, but I really enjoy stuff like this.

Good luck either way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I installed a Right Stuff Detailing kit just 1 year ago to the exact specifications you want. (Front only, power) I was pleased with the product. No complaints at all. Everything fit and was in good condition. It will have everything you need to make a complete conversion. However, make sure you order brakes lines as well. The reason is two-fold. 1)Your old lines are filled with nasty fluid. 2) if you're installing a power booster, the old lines will not be the correct length. (You may want to get new ball joints since you'll be in there if yours are a bit on the old side like mine were.)

I ordered it from Matt's Classic Bowties. After much shopping around, they're about $100.00 cheaper than everyone else and have free shipping in the Continental US (They drop ship from RSD which is in Columbus, OH) . At least that is what how it was 1 year ago. They answer the phone when you call and will answer any questions you have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts