Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 camaro drum brakes all around with power brake boster and master cylinder.. cant remember i think 15 yrs ago i had the power brake boster added,

anyways since i wont need the drilling part of the tasking, what would be a good ball park figure to convert to front disk brakes.. my car does stop pretty good with the drums so is it worth the $$ to change out.. i have a neighbor that will sell me the front set for 200$ just the front so im a bit skeptical if its ok to do the front alone without the back for now, have disk in the front and drums in the back.. is it truly worth the $$$ to convert over? i have never actually pondered the thought,.

Crazy ? has any1 basically ever regretted converting over?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
disc brakes are the single best upgrade I ever made to my car. OK, subframe bushings are up there too, but seriously, money well spent.
My first go around was with a junk yard swap from a 72 Chevelle. Take everything but the steering arms. Get the spindles, rotors, calipers, etc.

You'll be fine with disc/drum.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree. This was one of the most satisfying mods I have ever done to my car.

My front brakes came from a '74 Nova, a common boneyard find back when I did the swap about 1980 or 81. The original drum brakes were pretty scary for anything resembling spirited driving.

For a disc/drum combo, I'd recommend an adjustable proportioning valve. Using the stock stuff can lead to the rear brakes locking up first on a hard stop which can be rather exciting. I learned this the hard way on a previous car.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Its almost mandatory in todays traffic.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Do the swap and you'll never look back. $200 for spindals and rotors, bearings, calipers, pads and correct hoses?????? If your not sure about the quality and fit of these items. You'd be better off to (A) look on David Pozzi's site to get the parts list or (B) buy the change kit from one of the parts houses for another $600 and not worry.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts