Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently my car is a 68 with original 4 wheel drum brakes....manual master cylinder.

Ive been reading the disc conversion info here and I have purchased the front disc parts from a junk yard 1969 pontiac Grand prix.....the Grand prix had front disc rear drum power brakes.

From Pozzi's site, I see that I can use the front disc spindles, calipers, brackets and rotors.

My main question is that I also got the power brake master cylinder and diaphragm unit from the 69 Grand Prix.....I am wondering If I can use this also? What about the master cylinder actuating rod.....I am still a little confused on making sure I have the adequate length MC actuating rod?

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
It depends what you mean by "actuating rod". If you're talking about the rod that goes between the booster and the MC, you should already have the correct rod, since it was on the donor car already. If you are talking about the rod on the back side of the booster that hooks to the brake pedal, then the answer is "maybe" - but you can probably make it work.

I bought a booster out of an unknown year/vehicle last year (I knew it was a GM booster!). It turns out that the rod on the back of the booster was not only too long, but it had an eyelet on the pedal end of it rather than just threads, as the Camaro rod should have. Since it was too long, I just cut the eyelet off and threaded it for the clevis that was on my old booster. You can kinda see the incorrect "eyelet" in this picture.

A note on threading - the die initially started out crooked, but straightened itself out after a half inch or so. If you have to thread the rod, cut it longer than you need, thread it, and then you can cut the crooked part off at the length you need it to be. I have the old original booster in a box - let me know if you need to know the length of the rod.

Also - I can't guarantee that the Pontiac booster has the correct bolt pattern as far as bolting to the firewall, although it most likely does.

There is also the chance that it is exactly correct as is - but that never seems to happen on my projects!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the info BPOS....yes I mean the "actuating rod" that is the rod from the booster to the brake pedal......the 69 GP rod has an eyelet also. So, I will be using your threading ideas here in the near future.

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
Your car should have a second hole on the brake pedal for the mounting of an actuating rod for power booster application. You should relocate the rod to the second hole IMO.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
3forme is exactly correct. There are two holes in the brake pedal for the rod to attach to. The upper hole is for manual brakes - the lower hole is for vacuum assisted brakes. You will need to get the correct clevis pin setup for an early Camaro.

Also, be careful when you cut and rethread that rod - you can ruin the booster. I clamped the rod in a bench vise, keeping the rod as straight as possible on relation to the booster while working on it. If you're not careful, such as forcing it to extreme angles, you could tear the diaphragm, and make the booster inoperable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts