Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about ready to have the front end aligned after reassebly of the car. Is the Chevy dealership the best place to take it for an alignment? I didnt keep track of how many shims where where when I disassembled it, will that be part of the alignment process or an extra cost? Thanks...Jon:beers:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I would go to a local cruise, and ask some of the other car guys who they use. Shims are part of the process, so unless you need a ton of them they will probably be included.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
If you replaced suspension parts (control arms) with aftermarket parts that call for a different alignment specs, make sure you find a shop that's OK with that. Some shops won't align the car outside the factory specs for liability reasons. Shims are (should be) part of the deal. I agree with 68driver57 that it's good to ask other car guys for a good alignment shop. You want a shop that not only will align your car properly but also take car of you and your car. You still hear stories of shops dropping tools and chipping paint, slamming your hood with greasy hands and worst of all "taking the car for a test drive after the alignment", translation - Joy Ride. I hit the jackpot with the shop I found in Denver. Here is a link to let you know what kind of service I got...

·
Registered
13,327 Posts
Most of the 'modern ' technications have no idea how to align our 1st gens.
So ask a couple inocent questions...like
"Last time I had it done the steering wheel was crooked, how do you lign up the sterring wheel?"
If the say they pull it off..go somewhere else.
OR
"I cant get my head around changing the shims, do the front ones change the camber and the rear the caster?"
Both change both....If they say different , go somewhere else.

Act a little dumb, ask intergent questions that you have a basic knowledge of the answers....craftman ppl tend to very good at passing on knowledge to those who are genuinly interested, and those who think they know are very quick at showing how much they know...show off...doesnt take long to find out which is which...let human nature work for you.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
I just had this done by a 'long hair' at the local Tire Corral. This guy knew what he was doing when they used levels....now he has a 4 wheel computerized setup that is quite awesome. I was able to witness the entire process and I was amazed. It cost me $70 and the car steers straight as an arrow. I was impressed with the technology available for a front end alignment. Look around and try to find the same equipment.

·
Registered
13,327 Posts
Yep thats the setup with a 4 poster 99% of shops have in NZ..but still comes back to the knowledge/skills of starting with steering wheel straight and clamped , and removing old shims , starting from scratch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts