Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm working on setting the toe and I'm having trouble getting the wheels centered.

Here is what I thought I was supposed to do
Center the gear box with the flat part of the shaft facing straight up. Then center the wheels to that. This should give you equal turns left and right.

Hoever, if I do that then when I turn all the way to the left I get the left tire hitting the frame. So what I had to do was toe the left wheel in some and toe the right wheel out some (basically shifting them both to point to the right a bit). Now when I turn lock-to-lock, I don't get the left tire rubbing the frame. But now when the wheels are centered, the gear box isn't and the flat part isn't pointing straight up. I moved the steering wheel to be centered.

But I'm a little bothered that I don't have the flat on the gear box straight up. And I'm worried something else is off that is causing the tire to hit the frame when I do it the "right" way.

BTW, I'm running -1 degree (negative) camber and +1 degree (positive) caster. And the toe is set at 1/8 toe-in. I'm at factory ride height (actually maybe 1/2 an inch higher).

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,
Sal

·
Super Moderator
32,345 Posts
Pitman arm should be parallel with frame with flat spot up.
Lower ball joint zerk and outer tie rod zerk should meet at rear axle center if line is drawn through three points both sides.

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Any chance that you have different steering arms from one side to the other? I can't tell from your post how much you have to offset the two sides to get the tire to stop rubbing. If it is a turn or so on the sleeve I wouldn't let it bother me too much but if if itall the way out on one and as short as can be on the other something is bent or twisted.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
Did you replace the steering box, pitman arm or idler arm?

Don

·
10,144 Posts
The steering stops on the lower A arms determine where the wheels stop turning, they contact pads on the steering arms. The steering box stops should not be hitting before the steering ARM stops come into play. If the flat is not up on the steering box, the steering wheel will not be in it's proper position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts