Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the car at 15, someone before me had replaced the SBC with a BBC but hadn't done much else (bell crank, cross-member, frame brackets...etc) which lead to other problems but I understood why the front end sat lower (also bent sub frame) and as a kid I had a shop replace the springs with what I recall him saying were heavy duty springs which probably weren't right as well. After that the front end sat very high. Flash forward to now with a newer straight sub-frame and what are supposed to be BBC springs, the front end still sits very high. I don't dislike the look and am quite used to it but is this correct? Also, the front end is very stiff... very stiff. Just seems like it should be different. The car hasn't been driven yet since the new sub-frame/spring install. Will it maybe settle in and loosen up at some point?
Thanks, Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,485 Posts
The front appears to set higher than stock, but those front wheels and tires look awful small ?....plus it seems to be missing a few parts !:) Wait until it's fully assembled before doing anything drastic. Also, leave the control arm mountings at subframe loose so it can settle and when it's fully assembled, drive it a time or 2 around the block, then torque them down.

What type of front shocks ? KYB gas-a-just are notorious for being way too stiff !

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,485 Posts
What I meant by being "drastic" is, don't make any changes to the suspension, other than loosening the control arms, until you have the rest of the front end installed. It most certainly will settle some.

The AIM has the stock ride heights listed if you want to compare.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front appears to set higher than stock, but those front wheels and tires look awful small ?....plus it seems to be missing a few parts !:) Wait until it's fully assembled before doing anything drastic. Also, leave the control arm mountings at subframe loose so it can settle and when it's fully assembled, drive it a time or 2 around the block, then torque them down.

What type of front shocks ? KYB gas-a-just are notorious for being way too stiff !
I'm not sure of the type of shocks although the front end was that high before I installed them.
The first pic was 30+ years ago when it had 14" front rims. The second pic has 15" rims.
I have most of the front end back together but no water in the radiator/engine yet... I guess that could make a difference.
When I ever get it ready to run, I'll loosen the control arm mounts a bit and take your advice.
Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
fwiw my 68 has BB springs and an aluminum headed SB with competition engineering shocks with p-215-65-15 tires. my spacing is 2.25"

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,485 Posts
If the suspension is stock, the shocks are most likely the cause of the stiffness. Not necessarily the ride height. They set high while you're assembling and you think no way is this acceptable, then while adding parts, it finally reaches a point where every little thing added makes a difference.:)

I'd loosen the control arms as soon as possible, as it takes time to settle.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Since you have no idea what kind of front springs are in your car, either buy and install the correct rate springs for your combination, or, if you want the front end a little lower than stock, use a spring rate that is a little lower. There are charts that tell you what springs to use based on what equipment your car has. You might find them on CRG.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since you have no idea what kind of front springs are in your car, either buy and install the correct rate springs for your combination, or, if you want the front end a little lower than stock, use a spring rate that is a little lower. There are charts that tell you what springs to use based on what equipment your car has. You might find them on CRG.
I'll talk to the guy who installed them when I had the new sub-frame/brakes/front end installed and find out just what I have. I'm sure he ordered what was right for the car but I guess we'll see. I'll also check the receipt and see what was listed on the parts list when I'm home from work. I'm more curious than ever now.
Maybe somebody will recognize the shocks in the pic. Looks like CPP on the box.
Thanks, Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke with the person who built the front end and he used Classic Performance Parts. He assures me that it will settle from driving. He's a talented guy and a friend and I trust that he knows what he's talking about. But you all are talented guys as well and more opinions are good.
Thanks for the input, Jim

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
When I bought the car at 15, someone before me had replaced the SBC with a BBC but hadn't done much else (bell crank, cross-member, frame brackets...etc) which lead to other problems but I understood why the front end sat lower (also bent sub frame) and as a kid I had a shop replace the springs with what I recall him saying were heavy duty springs which probably weren't right as well. After that the front end sat very high. Flash forward to now with a newer straight sub-frame and what are supposed to be BBC springs, the front end still sits very high. I don't dislike the look and am quite used to it but is this correct? Also, the front end is very stiff... very stiff. Just seems like it should be different. The car hasn't been driven yet since the new sub-frame/spring install. Will it maybe settle in and loosen up at some point?
Thanks, Jim
Mine looked like that with "638" springs when I first installed them. They settled after the first ride.

Before:

Now:

Reactions: 68Tiger

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine looked like that with "638" springs when I first installed them. They settled after the first ride.

Before:

Now:

There ya go. Perfect. I'll hold tight and see where it ends up after the first ride.
Thanks, Jim

Reactions: HawkX66

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Hi Jim
427 BB with Hotchkis 2" Drop Springs.
I went thru the Same thing with my First set of New, BB Springs, Too High for me.

15 x 8" w/ 4.25 Backset Rims, Goodyear E60-15 Tires.

Had to remove 1 Fenderwell Bolt on Each side, No Rubbing at all on the Outside, I have the Addco 1 1/8" front Roll Bar (Sway Bar) and the Inside of the tires has rubbed the Paint off the Roll Bar.

Timmy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Jim
427 BB with Hotchkis 2" Drop Springs.
I went thru the Same thing with my First set of New, BB Springs, Too High for me.

15 x 8" w/ 4.25 Backset Rims, Goodyear E60-15 Tires.

Had to remove 1 Fenderwell Bolt on Each side, No Rubbing at all on the Outside, I have the Addco 1 1/8" front Roll Bar (Sway Bar) and the Inside of the tires has rubbed the Paint off the Roll Bar.

Timmy
I opted not to go with drop spindles and stick with stock ride height, that's why I'm perplexed but it sounds like I just need to be a bit more patient.
Thanks for the pics, Jim

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Do not use drop spindles. Install lowering springs.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do not use drop spindles. Install lowering springs.
That was my understanding when I choose stock ride height. I opted for factory geometry spindles. I forget exactly but my guy mentioned something about it and advised against them.
Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
A good upgrade would be to install QA1 coilovers which are adjustable for dampening and ride height.Speedway motors has them for $459. and you can go on Mary Pozzis website for the list of coil spring pounds required for different combos.AC big block etc,big tire ,big brakes. I went with 600 lb springs due to tires brakes Rat motor etc. I had Moog factory style big block springs and it also sat way high .I cut one coil out and it was good but a hair shy of ground clearance needed. Coil overs solve the ride height issue and the dampening with the QA1 shocks is adjustable as is the ride height. The best bang for the buck was installing Moroso solid body mounts and new grade 8 bolts and I made some 3/8" thick washers to handle the load.Factory washers tend to bend when solid body mounts are installed . That being said the flex inherent in Camaro first gen subframes is eliminated. I have had them for 15 years with no real harshness noticeable although they do take a set and must be retorqued occasionally like once in ten years of use.The next thing is offset control arm upper shafts which allow more modern settings to be used to make your Camaro hang corners like a Porsche.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A good upgrade would be to install QA1 coilovers which are adjustable for dampening and ride height.Speedway motors has them for $459. and you can go on Mary Pozzis website for the list of coil spring pounds required for different combos.AC big block etc,big tire ,big brakes. I went with 600 lb springs due to tires brakes Rat motor etc. I had Moog factory style big block springs and it also sat way high .I cut one coil out and it was good but a hair shy of ground clearance needed. Coil overs solve the ride height issue and the dampening with the QA1 shocks is adjustable as is the ride height. The best bang for the buck was installing Moroso solid body mounts and new grade 8 bolts and I made some 3/8" thick washers to handle the load.Factory washers tend to bend when solid body mounts are installed . That being said the flex inherent in Camaro first gen subframes is eliminated. I have had them for 15 years with no real harshness noticeable although they do take a set and must be retorqued occasionally like once in ten years of use.The next thing is offset control arm upper shafts which allow more modern settings to be used to make your Camaro hang corners like a Porsche.
I'll give it a chance and see where it end up. If it's not to my liking I may make a change later so thanks for the heads up. As far as cornering, that's not my main concern. I've always liked straight line much better.
Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I would get Viking Coilovers before QA1. I sell Viking Double Adjustables at about the same price as a QA1 Single Adjustable

·
Premium Member
Ben - Delaware - 67 Camaro
469 Posts
i installed the viking double adjustable coil overs on my 67. totally different car now. highly recommend. the adjust ability is great for both ride height and stiffness. although i must say that i installed the coil overs and set the ride height to my liking with both settings on the shocks set at the base recommendation and i never went back to test any other settings i was so pleased with the way the car felt. you can adjust ride height without even removing the wheels. takes minutes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts