Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 convertible that I was wanting to replace the engine harness and forward lamp harness on this weekend. I have all the parts gathered including new harnesses from M&H. In doing some research through old posts however I have found that it may not be wise to put the gauge harnesses on a non-gauge car.

Per CarlC
"If you are considering going for factory gauges then go for the correct harness. However, you will lose many features and may cause major damage if you try to run a gauge-type light harness with only warning lights."

I am not sure if my car originally had gauges or not. Is there some way I can tell? If I pull the original engine harness and there is no blue wire for the oil pressure lamp would that tell me anything for sure?

Thanks gang!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Hopefully CarlC will chime in, but in the meantime....

Off the top of my head a gauge car would have wiring for the ammeter, which consists of a 12 awg black/white and 12 awg black wire. One wire would go to the horn relay and the other would go to the junction block behind the battery....They would be pretty easy to spot.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thought! I could also look for the presence of the tach wire in the engine harness.

After reading my own post I should add that I'm not trying to determine if the car was ORIGINALLY a gauge car, but only if it is wired properly for one now.

From other items on the car I would expect the gauge wiring to be hacked if it was not factory, but someone may have actually done something right. Yeah RIGHT!!! Now that is funny!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I converted my 69 to have the console gauges and tach. The conversion harness had instructions of how to modify the console, under dash and engine compartment wiring to accomodate the gauges/tach.

I can share the instructions with you so you can see how to modify a non guage harness to be a gauge harness.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Things are looking good. The oil pressure wire does not exist in the engine harness and the tach wire does.

As for the front lamp harness, the two wires you describe do exist. Funny thing though is that they are not wrapped with the other wires. Would they be wrapped with the main forward lamp harness from the factory?

The new CS130 sure looks good!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Project completed!

I was a little nervous hooking the battery back up and turning the key on for the first time, but none of the magic smoke got out!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you should have kept all of the bailing wire an chewing gum wrappers from your old wiring as souveniers!

Blue Camaro Out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts